Talk related to anything & everything.
Coloradobuck
Monster
Monster

poched elk

Post by Coloradobuck » Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:05 am

-Colorado divison of wildlife 8/10/07

DOW SEEKS INFORMATION ON ELK KILLED IN LA PLATA COUNTY

The Colorado Division of Wildlife is offering a $1,000 reward for information about a bull elk that was recently killed near Bondad on the west side of U.S. Highway 550.

The elk was a mature bull with large 6 x 6 antlers in full velvet. It was shot near a gas well pad, said Stephanie Schuler, district wildlife manager for the DOW.

The elk was still alive when it was spotted by a man working on the well pad on July 29. The elk was lying down with its head up. The man noticed blood on the animal and could see that it had been shot. The DOW was notified of the incident.

The next morning, Schuler and one other DOW officer found the elk still alive. The officers noticed bear tracks and scat near the injured elk. They determined that a bear had been feeding upon the paralyzed hind end of the elk.

"Unfortunately after lying there paralyzed for two days and being scavenged upon by at least one bear, the elk needed to be put down due to its condition," Schuler said.

The officers found a single bullet wound to the upper shoulder/spinal area of the elk that paralyzed the animal.

"The elk was shot on private property. We are hopeful that someone might have seen a vehicle or some unusual activity near the well pad," Schuler said. "If anyone has any information, even if it seems to be minor, please call the Division of Wildlife."

If someone provides a tip that leads to an arrest, he or she could earn the reward from Operation Game Thief. Tips can be given anonymously.

If you have any information about this incident, please, call the DOW's Durango office at (970)247-0855; or Operation Game Thief at 1-877-265-6648.

The Colorado Division of Wildlife is the state agency responsible for managing wildlife and its habitat, as well as providing wildlife related recreation. The Division is funded through hunting and fishing license fees, federal grants and Colorado Lottery proceeds through Great Outdoors Colorado.

For more information about Division of Wildlife go to: http://wildlife.state.co.us.
“Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway”-john wayne

RooDog
2 point
2 point

Post by RooDog » Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:11 pm

I hope they catch the dirty SOB that did it!

http://wildlife.state.co.us/NewsMedia/PressReleases/

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:42 am

Hope they get them also!

Coloradobuck
Monster
Monster

Post by Coloradobuck » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:54 am

me to
“Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway”-john wayne

southwind
Monster
Monster

Post by southwind » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:48 am

I need to stop reading these poaching post because my blood pressure is boiling. :nono:

Wapiti
2 point
2 point

Post by Wapiti » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:58 pm

We can only hope they catch them that stinks. :>/ :>/ :>/ :>/

HighLander
Monster
Monster

Post by HighLander » Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:42 am

They really need to started throwing these guys under the jail.....start making examples of what happens and maybe , just maybe they will think twice next time!!
ALWAYS CHECK YOUR ARROWS BEFORE SHOOTING.......TRUST ME!!

PaRu
Spike
Spike

Post by PaRu » Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:26 pm

Catch them and take all hunting preveliges away for life every state.
Great hunter?YES Fine figure of a man? YES
That is all you need to know

TheGreatwhitehunter

Post by TheGreatwhitehunter » Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:51 am

:>/ :>/ :>/ I cant even imagine poaching something.

It is even worse because of this person or persons actions the elk wass being eaten alive by a bear.

felony and jail time is what this person derserves along with the standard confiscation of gear and hefty fines
THE LORD IS MY ROCK