Some interesting reading for Utah hunters.

Talk related to anything & everything.
a_bow_nut

Some interesting reading for Utah hunters.

Post by a_bow_nut » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:05 am

I just read this over on the divisions web site. :-k

http://www.wildlife.utah.gov/news/07-10/deer_elk.php

This should get some people up in arms.

Can't say that I agree with everyting they say.
Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell
the difference.

79Ford
Monster
Monster

Post by 79Ford » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:13 pm

so more deer are taken in 5 days than are taken in 9? I was horrible at math in school, but I know enough to know that doesn't make sense. But that's why they get paid the big bucks, and I just have to help fund it......

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:20 pm

Yea, I read it and some of that might just 'get me up in arms'.

I agree and am okay with some things and others I'm like HUH?? WHAT?? Your kidding me right. (???)

Meaning I'm not seeing or believing it.

But I will say man does that 5 day hunt end quick, I just felt like I was getting started and boom over. Meaning I was justing having fun being out in the hills. And I already filled my tag. :)

Just enjoyed trying to find one for my Dad, no such luck.

But I don't spend as much gas money on a 5 day. :)

skull krazy
3 point
3 point

Post by skull krazy » Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:34 pm

I may get rocks thrown at me here for this, but i'd have to agree with those numbers on the 5 day hunt..."people simply get in a hurry because they have to, and they don't wait for a better buck".

I really thing making it a nine day hunt will slow a lot of people down and let some of those two points go. I think this is especially true for the locals of an area. They know they can pass those younger bucks up on the opener and "hold out" through the second weekend.

By the second weekend, those bucks have wisened up and are tougher to find...we all know that already.
SKULL KRAZY
"No Bones About It"

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:35 pm

Skull Crazy, I think you're right. Our Muley season here in WA is a nine day season and I can tell ya that the majority of bucks harvested are harvested within the first few days. Once the pressure is put on the deer they become much harder to find.

Not only that, I generally see fewer hunters out and about after the first three days or so. Pressure picks back up during the last weekend but by then the bucks have gone into hiding and are much more difficult to locate.

Just my opinion/observation.

skull krazy
3 point
3 point

Post by skull krazy » Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:54 pm

Thanks hawk, it's nice to know i'm not the only one out there on crack! :-$
I'd also like to see the antler point restriction come back on a couple of "pilot unit's" here and see what becomes of them. A lot of other western states still use them, Utah says they don't work. I can asure you this....back when we had them, i saw lot's better bucks than i do now in those areas!
They say there were too many 2 points shot and wasted, but look how many are shot now for heaven's sake! So what if a handful get left to rot, the predators are consuming them, and by that, they are saving a live one. (not that i condone wasting deer by anymeans :>/ )
SKULL KRAZY
"No Bones About It"

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:03 pm

skull krazy, as for the point restriction...I can give you my opinion on that also (We have had a 3 point mimimum law in effect for about 15-17 years...I don't recall the exact year that it went into effect at this point).

To start, a skilled writer can skew numbers to fit thier agenda and I have read studies that are 180 degrees out from eachother regarding whether the restriction works or not. However, I can tell you this...I see more "big" bucks nowadays than I ever saw as a kid (Big being a relative term). As a kid, you were a stud if you harvested anything bigger than a forkie or small 3 point. Nowadays, I see some nice 4 points and better being harvested every year. We have a game check station right outside of town and I visit it quite a bit during the season so I get a chance to see a lot of harvested animals. Again, it is just my opinion but I like the restriction and think it has had a positive effect on the quality of bucks that are harvested. Again, there are folks that disagree with this and that's fine....they have that right. However, they would be hard pressed to convince me otherwise. I don't mind eating my tag every once in a while if it allows the smaller bucks to reach a relative level of maturity.

I know I am in the MINORITY on this one but heck, I wouldn't mind seeing some units here in my home state completely closed to buck hunting for a few years to help improve the overall health/fitness of the herd. I think if they did this, but still allowed a limited number of does to be harvested, that the entire herd(s) would benefit.

Again...for those of you that disagree, that's fine. This is just one man's opinion and you're entitled to your's as well.

skull krazy
3 point
3 point

Post by skull krazy » Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:13 pm

Critics apposed of the antler restriction here say that by having it, we are killing all the older bucks. I think there's nothing further from the truth.
Not all of those bucks get shot, those older bucks are smarter and know how to hide when the pressure starts.
I don't know any statistics or numbers, but i wouldn't be surprised if the numbers of older bucks in an 3 point or better area that survive would probably be higher than you'd think, maybe even higher than the number of 2 points that DO make it in an any buck unit.

All i know is how it used to be and how it is now and i wish i could step back in time and hunt back in the 80's again.
They even say there are less hunters these days than back then, so that can't be argued.

Our elk herds and quality are out of this world here right now, it's time to play with the deer now.
SKULL KRAZY
"No Bones About It"

Utahbowhunter
Monster
Monster

Post by Utahbowhunter » Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:00 pm

Yeah skull i was thinking the same thing.