Do you like where you live??

Talk related to anything & everything.
roybram
Spike
Spike

Post by roybram » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:21 pm

Man alive ! :) Idaho sounds like a blast. How do you fish for Salmon & Steelhead ? I have never herd of a Steelhead before how big do they get ?

What part of Spring do you fish for them ? Wouldnt everything (roads, lakes etc....,) be froze up that time of the year ? :-k

J0n
Spike
Spike

Post by J0n » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:38 pm

Wilecoyote, you forgot about moose, bighorns (both desert and rocky mountain) and mountain goats.

Buck Fever
3 point
3 point

Post by Buck Fever » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:26 pm

roybram wrote:Man alive ! :) Idaho sounds like a blast. How do you fish for Salmon & Steelhead ? I have never herd of a Steelhead before how big do they get ?

What part of Spring do you fish for them ? Wouldnt everything (roads, lakes etc....,) be froze up that time of the year ? :-k
Well like i said some of the biggest steelhead in the world. Here's a pic from a fish i caught last spring in march. We guessed he would go around 20 lbs. In most of the rivers in the west they get the A Run steelhead that average about 5-8lbs. Which still are great fish, but the Clearwater river here in Idaho get the B run fish. Which average 10 -15 lbs and up to 25+lbs. The river attracts anglers from all over the world. Lots of fun. Enjoy the pic... Oh I can't wait to draw a sheep tag!!
Attachments
15A.jpg
15A.jpg (35.62 KiB) Viewed 4079 times
Must be mentally focused at all times!!

IDHunter
2 point
2 point

Post by IDHunter » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:37 pm

I can't believe all of you guys that love Idaho as much as you do. I must live in the wrong part of the state, or else you've never been anywhere else.

roybram
Spike
Spike

Post by roybram » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:50 pm

Buck Fever,

That is one spectackular fish ! Congratulations on him. :thumb Now that is a steelhead salmon ? When they are running how many can one expect to catch on a mornings fishing trip ?

IDHunter, do you not like living in Idaho ?

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:02 pm

Well, for my money it's tough to beat Idaho. I've lived in Alaska, Montana, North Dakota, Idaho, and Washington (Current residence on the Idaho boarder) and have been stationed in California, Mississippi, and Illinios...not to mention I have been to 26 countries, 6 of the 7 continents, and 33 states including the one's I've lived in/been stationed in. I guess you could say that I've been around a bit and I LOVE Idaho.

No knock on the others though and I'll stay this, I wouldn't turn down the opportunity to move back to Alaska or Montana either.

Oh yea, GREAT steelie! Man, I love fishin' for those things on the Snake, Clearwater, and Grande Ronde.

waynedevore

Post by waynedevore » Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:14 pm

Hey Roybram, How would You like to have that big Steelhead to put in the smoker? :thumb

Isn't the Steelhead a ocean going Rainbow?

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:35 pm

Wayne, you are correct. Steelhead and Rainbow are the same species of trout. The difference is that Steelhead are anadromous, or spend most of thier lives in the ocean but breed in fresh water. As you know, Rainbow spend thier entire lives in fresh water.

Idahohunter
Spike
Spike

Post by Idahohunter » Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:00 pm

IDhunter, Idaho Falls does kinda suck. When I was home this last summer I couldn't believe how much it had grown. I went to H.S. in Firth and I still like it there, nice small town/ farming town. Plus all my H.S. buddies and in-laws are there. Alaska is AWESOME, but I still miss Idaho. (Alaska needs elk and mulies in the interior to be perfect. It wouldn't hurt to be a little warmer in the winter, it was -58 with wind chill 2 days ago.)
"If a man isn't as good as his word, what good is he?"

nuttinbutchunks
2 point
2 point

Post by nuttinbutchunks » Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:58 pm

I like living in Lehi, UT very much. I've only been here 4 years. Originally I'm from Whittier, CA. I can't believe what Arnold has done to that state. They're on the down hill slide for sure #-o

I'm glad I'm outtathere!
You can stand me up at the gates of Elko and I won't back down!