Well, 14 more days and I am no longer in Uniform/Job update

Talk related to anything & everything.
NotEnufTags
Monster
Monster

Re: Well, 14 more days and I am no longer in Uniform/Job update

Post by NotEnufTags » Sat May 09, 2009 9:15 pm

Hawk I hope that offer comes just after you've had long enough to do some fun outdoor stuff with your family. Good luck to you. I do appreciate each of you here at muley madness that have served our country, thereby serving me. Thanks for your sacrifices.
"Some day I'll scout out a monster, spot him while hunting, make the stalk of a lifetime, and have dreams come true. 'Til then I'll be happy with the buck in my cross-hairs."

waynedevore

Post by waynedevore » Mon May 11, 2009 6:54 am

Hawk good luck on getting the perfect job. You might as well wait until after the Fall adventures to settle down to a new job. You don't want to get stuck at something where you will only have the weekends. :thumb

Malloy805
Spike
Spike

Post by Malloy805 » Tue May 12, 2009 5:40 pm

Congratulations!
You'll do well in any direction life takes you.
Thank You for your service and Good Luck!!

ABert

Post by ABert » Mon May 18, 2009 11:45 pm

Good to hear you have this lined up, even if there is a bit of a wait. Enjoy a few weeks off with the family as you have earned it!

I, myself, just got hired to work as the Chief Engineer on a survey vessel working out of the Gulf of Mexico. Haven't worked a day yet as I've been lining up my certifications/licenses required but should start within a week or two.
It ain't the size of the gun but the placement of the bullet.

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Tue May 19, 2009 7:31 am

Thanks everyone! Man, I sure can't wait for that phone call though...I sure hope it comes eventually.

ABert, CONGRATS!!!! Where is your ship out of and what kind of surveys will you be doing?

sneekeepete
Monster
Monster

Post by sneekeepete » Tue May 19, 2009 7:43 am

Hawk you are enjoying your Terminal now aren't you? I sure hope you get a good break and are enjoying some time with your family! Thanks again for all of your service I can't wait to be in your shoes.
SNEEKEEPETE
OIF Vet.
Sgt Petersen USMC
Colossians 1:27,28

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Tue May 19, 2009 12:02 pm

Not quite yet Sneekee. I start next Monday and am just getting the last minute paperwork done, copying my service record and medical records, etc.

I'll tell ya, my friend...it goes by FAST! Good luck and if ya ever need anything just drop me a line.

ABert

Post by ABert » Tue May 19, 2009 7:23 pm

Hawk,
The boat will be out of LA someplace as they don't have a pier for it yet. The boat is currently up in MA going through a refit and should be ready in another couple of months. The office is out of Lafayette, LA.

I don't have to relocate, which is a plus. Should be working 28 on/14 off. Even got a 25% raise when they hired me, plus the job comes with all the benefits. Should be making enough to where the old retirement check sits and builds every month without being touched.

The major portion of the surveying is for the oil industry, keeping track of cables and pipelines out in the gulf. They also do some specialized jobs looking for very specific objects on the ocean floor. Should be an interesting job that will hopefully keep me busy. Heck, I'm going to bring a fishing pole or two and see if I can't tangle with one of those monster groupers now and then.

Have you done your VA physical yet? I was a bit surprised on how mine turned out. Got 10% for something I knew I would, nothing for a couple of things I thought I would and another 10% for something I never even thought about. Just took a while for it all to come back.
It ain't the size of the gun but the placement of the bullet.

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Wed May 20, 2009 8:34 am

ABert,

Very cool! Sounds like they will be operating side scan sonar...or something along those lines. I almost got into that gig myself but Hurricane Katrina destroyed the command I had orders to and I ended up here at Whidbey instead.

I haven't done the VA physical yet. Unfortunately, I am going to have to do it once I get home through the local VA. I have a couple issues I was TRYING to get taken care of prior to getting out (hearing, pinched nerve in my neck that has caused partial loss of feeling in my left hand) but medical screwed me around long enough that I ran out of time. That will be priority #1 when I get to Clarkston though....get into the VA office and start that process. I already have copied of my medical records and will take them with me to see what I warrent.

Just an added note: I got a call yesterday from a janitorial company about hiring me as their manager. Just like the Corrections Officer job, it is right in Clarkston and if they do indeed take me on as the manager, it will be a perfect fit until the Corrections Officer position actually opens up and I get the call to report. I will meet the owner on Friday to see if it's something I want to do and if I am the one they want to hire.

sneekeepete
Monster
Monster

Post by sneekeepete » Wed May 20, 2009 8:50 am

Good deal on the Job offer Hawk. It sounds like things are beginning to fall into place. I know how it is with Medical taking their time and not getting everything done for you. Before I re-enlisted I was still in Iraq trying to do all of my physicals and everything before I got out. Talk about ridiculous. If I hadn't re-enlisted I don't think they would have ever been able to do anything for me. As it was I only had 2 weeks left in the Marine Corps after I got back from Iraq. Oh well though I am still in now. Good luck on everything with your VA physical though. From what I hear it all depends on the office in your neck of the woods. Some are great to work with others are horrible so good luck.
SNEEKEEPETE
OIF Vet.
Sgt Petersen USMC
Colossians 1:27,28