Am I being too paranoid about my bear mount?

Talk related to anything & everything.
fatrooster
3 point
3 point

Re: Am I being too paranoid about my bear mount?

Post by fatrooster » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:51 pm

I would definitely take my pictures in to the taxidermist and try to get an explanation. Goodluck and let us know what happens. fatrooster.

brn2hunt
4 point
4 point

Post by brn2hunt » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:14 pm

I saw that you posted this picture on taxinet also. The people over there really know what they are talking about. I would say that its the same one
"Ne A La Chasse"

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:57 pm

you got s link? i would trust a group of taxi's over us , but i can see where a ? come from,

AntlersOutWest
4 point
4 point

Post by AntlersOutWest » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:16 am

Here is the link if you are interested. http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.ph ... 737.0.html

I thought all the comments make sence so what to do is the question.. Im still going to call my taxi and see what he says today.

Thanks guys!

NONYA
Monster
Monster

Post by NONYA » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:38 am

Ask them to explain how scars disappear and reappear in different spots during the taxidermy process,if you compare your pics its obvious your live bear had a scar on its muzzle,not there in the mount,and a bunch of scars near the eye on the mount dont appear to be on the live bear,color and size aside,thats not the same hide.Poke around and seeif your bullet wounds are even in the right plae,entrance and exit,you should be able to find where they were sewn up.

Ride
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Ride » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:27 pm

Hmmmm, looks different to me. My dad is a taxidermist and he has never come across a shirinkage like that from a tannery. Be polite about it with your taxidermist at first, progress as needed i guess. Good luck to you.

Loafer
3 point
3 point

Post by Loafer » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:03 pm

Asking questions or having concerns about something is not being accusatory. If he gets ticked over a couple questions I'd be really suspicious of the guy.
Uva uvam vivendo varia fit - Augustus McCrae

waynedevore

Post by waynedevore » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:29 pm

Your pics taken on a dark overcast and snowing environment are going to be a lot different then dry lighted conditions. Wet, dark bear verses dry, lighted bear are going to be different. OK, the hide going through the tanning process gets some pretty heavy treatment.

The taxidermist must have placed a wire and tag?

Yup, check where the bullet entered, you will be able to feel at least a depression, a hole in the hide. Let us know.

brn2hunt
4 point
4 point

Post by brn2hunt » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:31 pm

You should be able to find stitches from sewing up the spot where your bear was shot.
"Ne A La Chasse"

one hunting fool
Monster
Monster

Post by one hunting fool » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:02 pm

Sorry antlers, that is not the same bear. nose color is off and this bear was a spring bear hide i would say. your bear should have a thicker coat. and like nonya said the scars are not on the bear like the one above the eye. your bears nose is a brown color not black, which mark the brown muzzle. I have skinned a lot of critters and after we had them tanned we have never had one come back a different color. the color of the nose is a dead giveaway. some hides may be dirty do to the den or rolling in some mud and that could mask the true color but color of an animals nose never changes color. my dad once gat a grey fox with a white nose and had it mounted. it is rare to have the white nose most are black. he sold the mount for 3 times what the others sold for because of just that.
Genesis 27:3
Now take your hunting equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out into the open country and hunt some wild game for me.