Tag info Needed

Talk related to anything & everything.
MonteMiles
Fawn
Fawn

Tag info Needed

Post by MonteMiles » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:40 pm

A couple of us are planning on applying for all the western states (NV,WY,MT,UT,AZ,NM,CO,ID) for deer, elk, sheep, moose and pronghorns.

Every state is confusing on their application process. I see WY requires you pay your whole tag amount up front and if you dont draw you get refunded your amount minus your application fee a couple a months later. It appears they get quite a pretty penny from us on interest alone.

Are any of the other states that I listed like this? Or do you apply and IF you draw you will get charged but only IF you draw. I hope most are like the later....or I will be racking up the bill big time. Our plan is to draw a couple quality hunts per year and if we dont draw, we will have fall back options that are OTC. Thanks for your help.

ridgetop
Monster
Monster

Re: Tag info Needed

Post by ridgetop » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:02 pm

I know Colorado, you need to pay $300+ upfront. Utah, you need to buy a $65 license, then a $10 app. fee for each tag you put in for.
There's always next year

MonteMiles
Fawn
Fawn

Post by MonteMiles » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:12 pm

So Utah is the same as AZ. They require you to pay for a lic no matter if you draw or not. How long does it take for CO to reimburse you? I was told WY is like 45 days after the draw takes place.

ABert

Post by ABert » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:20 pm

CO you have to pay the entire amount of the tag up front. Deadline for the draw is usually early April and returns usually come around June or July if you don't draw. Haven't gotten the regs yet so I don't know the deadline for the applications nor the draw dates. Can't speak on any other states.

Well, I guess I could but I wouldn't have a clue about what I was talking about lol
It ain't the size of the gun but the placement of the bullet.

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:25 pm

For Idaho you need to purchase a license before you can apply for the various deer, elk, pronghorn, and bear controlled hunts. You must also pay applicable permit application fee(s). The cost of the permit application is $14.75 for a nonresident I believe. (They also charge an extra fee for internet and phone-in applications)

Nonresident hunting license will cost you $154.75 and is non-refundable if you do not draw.

Additionally, for controlled hunts for moose, mountain goat and bighorn sheep you can only apply for one species and must submit the entire amount - tag fee and controlled hunt application fee when applying. Only tag fees will be refunded if you do not draw.

The price for a non-resident moose, bighorn, or goat tag is $2,101.75.

Deer: $301.75
Elk: $416.75
Pronghorn: $311.75
Bear: $186.00

Again, the four above do not need to be purchased unless you are drawn for a conrolled hunt. Additionally, the can all be purchased over-the-counter for DYI hunts but are not valid in all units (Controlled hunts would apply. You will need to consult the new regulations once they are released).

MonteMiles
Fawn
Fawn

Post by MonteMiles » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:02 pm

This is pretty dis-heartening. Our plan was to start applying for all the western states in hopes to draw 2 or so "good" tags per year. But it appears your bank account needs to be much higher then mine. I would guess like 40k for all the tags we are gonna apply for. Wish they would charge ONLY if you draw. And this buyin a hunting licence even if you dont draw is just crazy. It appears at least AZ Utah and ID are like this.....prolly more.

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:24 am

yep, it's expensive!

your other option ios to use a tag service company. they use their money for the applications and you pay only if you draw. PLUS they take care of the whole application process for you. just tell them what you want to apply for and they do it.

you will still pay all the non-refundable fees- liscences you must by first, application fees, etc..

but , for example- wyoming, you wouldn't have to front the $1100 bucks for the special draw elk application.

on the flip side of it, their kind of a rip off also, they add 25- 50 bucks ( maybe more) per animal to do it for you.

i've seen alot of people come up with the grand plan similer to what your talking about and more often than not it fails. theres alot to keep in mind--

remember, you absolutly will not draw a couple, or even 1 GREAT tag every year. especially if your just starting out with the points game. sure you might get lucky a time or two over alot of years, but they way most states are set up, you dont have very good odds untill you get a lot of points built up.

i could go on and on- but you should look into drawing odds in each state to get a full understanding of it.

just remember, it's a LONG TERM process, thats why it usually fails. and people waist their money. you'll be fronting alot of monay for quit a few yrs before you really see results .

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:31 am

sorry, i had to start a new reply (???)
but to continue---
i think you would be better off, in the long run, to pick 1 or 2 states to concentrate your applications in. if you learn an area, you will have better odds of killing big animals vs. experimenting year after year IMO.

unless of course you can afford to put out that kinda money year after year, if i had the money- i wouldn't miss a single state. Good luck

Trout&Trees
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Trout&Trees » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:36 am

It may be disheartening, but the regulations on tags is what keeps it all possible. If they were so easy to come by, there wouldn't be any hunting opportunities left.

MonteMiles
Fawn
Fawn

Post by MonteMiles » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:07 am

Yes I agree KillerBee I was talking more down the road a bit for drawing a couple tags per year. I always have Plan B if we dont draw. OTC tags. Im gonna contact each agency and see what their prefernce point system is all about. For instance if you can just buy a point rather then applying every year. Like the AZ strip tag. Dont think there is much of a point of me applying until I get at least 10 points (i know much more than that, but you get the point!) It appears UT may be doable since their lic is only 65 bucks.