Landowner/Mitigation Cow Elk Tags

Talk related to anything & everything.
waspocrew
4 point
4 point

Landowner/Mitigation Cow Elk Tags

Post by waspocrew » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:34 pm

Hey everyone,
I've heard that cow elk hunts in the winter are a pretty fun time and it's something I'd like to try out this year. My semester is winding down and I would have some more free time in December. My question is, does anyone know where I might be able to find these tags? I've been watching KSL and have only seen the same ads running over and over again. I've scoured the web but really haven't found much. Just curious to see if you knew some other routes I could try. I'd love to get one last big game hunt in this year :) Any help would be great. Thanks

derekp1999
4 point
4 point

Re: Landowner/Mitigation Cow Elk Tags

Post by derekp1999 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:27 pm

It has been my experience that you have to know a landowner or know someone who knows a landowner to "get" a mitigation tag. You can also register for the mitigation pool, but the DWR websites says that applicants after Oct. will only be considered if there are tags left over (or something like that). Your best bet for "another hunt" would be for next year to put in the antlerless draw and put yourself in for the mitigation pool early next year, too.
I put in for and drew a Cache, Milleville Face cow tag last year (end of Nov. & I had 1 preference point) and we had three cows down in an half hour the day after Thanksgiving. It was a fun/different hunt. The feel of the hunt changes when worrying about "headgear" is removed from the equation... to be quite honest it's kinda nice, and the meat is tasty.
“The consequences of our actions are always so complicated, so diverse, that predicting the future is a very difficult business indeed.”
-Albus Dumbledore