Here's what's been taking up my free time.

Talk related to anything & everything.
AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Here's what's been taking up my free time.

Post by AGCHAWK » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:25 pm

Brian....and the rest of the pack.

I know....some of you are saying "Geez, another wrestling post from AGCHAWK!" Well, I can't help it dangit.

The video below is a highlight video that one of the other parents from Skylor's wrestling club put together for him. It's highlights from Skylor's past Spring Wrestling season (2012). He did AWESOME, finishing with a 16-2 record with 3 1st place finishes, 1 2nd place finish, and 1 3rd place finish in 5 tournaments. His only two loses were 6-5 and 4-1 and he could have easily won either of those also.

Yes, he loses matches and he most certainly is not the best 8-9 yr old in the region at all. However, he started wrestling later in his young life than a lot of these youngsters. Because of that, Sky has shown me a level of determination, drive, and willingness to put in the work that I didn't know exsisted in such a young man. He knows he has to work harder than others and is willing to do it too. He is also a great sportsman and ALWAYS congratulates his opponents whether he wins, loses, or draws. With that being said....he may not ever be the best wrestler around but he most certainly will grow up to be a GREAT young man! I just can't express how proud I am of my little man and what he has shown me. He has most certainly taught me more than I could ever teach him.

Since the Spring season ended I've spent many of my Summer weekends at camps and clinics because Sky wants to attend them and I always go to support him. I don't mind it a bit either!

Well, if you would like to watch the video here it is. If not...that's OK by me. I just thought I'd share a little. (Heck, with all of the wrestling I haven't had many chances to get any hunting or fishing done so it's not like I can share those at the moment...LOL)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBkyMuS2maY&feature=plcp

Mularcher
4 point
4 point

Re: Here's what's been taking up my free time.

Post by Mularcher » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:31 pm

That's cool, Brings back memories of wrestling in jr high & high school. Some of the hardest work outs I've ever had. Good Luck & keep him going.
“If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it.” Fred Bear

waspocrew
4 point
4 point

Post by waspocrew » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:56 pm

AGCHAWK wrote: Since the Spring season ended I've spent many of my Summer weekends at camps and clinics because Sky wants to attend them and I always go to support him. I don't mind it a bit either!
That's the most important thing! Thinking back on athletics, I'm pretty sure my dad was at every baseball/basketball game or track meet I ever participated in... even if it was way far away. Your son will definitely appreciate the support! :thumb

hardstalk
Spike
Spike

Post by hardstalk » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:37 pm

I feel that this is what creates a man. Granted its in the younger years of his life the confidence,drive and work ethic involved in being an athlete is never forgotten. I hear guys at work complain because they have to take their kid to an after school activity and it disguists me. It takes all ive got not to slap them in the face. Kids are the future and parents create the kids. Thanks acg i know it may not seem like it but your an amazing parent. I still remember my dad at rodeo practice running up cows on foot till 11-12 at night and getting up at 4 for work. Your dedication to your children wont be forgotten.

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:30 pm

Hawk, That was AWESOME!!!

You say that he got a late start, but when you think about it, when he is high school, he will have SO MUCH MORE experience than most of the kids he will be wrestling!
I think it's great how dedicated YOU have become to supporting "SKYHAWK"!

I CAN"T WAIT TILL NOVEMBER! my boy ,Chase, will be 4 and can start mat club! He's super excited, but his older sister is SUPER-SUPER EXCITED that hopefully she won't have to keep getting wrestled every night lol

great to hear your doing good, thanks for the update!

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:00 pm

Thanks guys!!! As you can tell, I am just one proud papa!

I have yet to miss a single match of his and I don't plan on starting any time soon. As an assistant coach and club board member I will be there as long as he wants to keep wrestling. I will miss one of his remaining two camps this summer due to work but mom will be there to support him (She has not missed a camp or match either in the last two years).

These next two seasons will be tougher than the last two because he has moved up an age bracket and will be younger than a lot of the other wrestlers. The coming Fall and Spring seasons will "Lesson learning" seasons, that's for sure. He will work hard, wrestle his hardest, and be the best sport he can. That's all I can ask for, right?!

Brian, you will most certainly have to keep us posted on how your little man does! If you're anything like me the tournaments will KILL YOU emotionally but I wouldn't give it up for the world!! (To expound, I cannot eat or drink ANYTHING during tournament days, nor can I sleep at all the night before. My nerves just KILL ME!)

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:37 pm

it already makes me sick to my stomach! You never want to see your own kids lose at anything, but in the end- they have to lose to be able to to see what hard work will teach you.

I might be "a little" biast, but I think I got a good one in the makings! CAN'T WAIT!

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:28 pm

killerbee wrote:it already makes me sick to my stomach! You never want to see your own kids lose at anything, but in the end- they have to lose to be able to to see what hard work will teach you.

I might be "a little" biast, but I think I got a good one in the makings! CAN'T WAIT!
Yea, it's tough to watch when he runs up against some of these kids that have wrestled since they were 4 (Sky started a month short of his 7th birthday). Again, although he has most certainly caught up and passed a good number of them, there are still a few that cause him fits. But, I can say this, it does help to watch him walk out there and give it his absolute all...even if he's wrestling a kid that's beat him the last couple of times they've met. As luck would have it, the defending NATIONAL champion for his age group is from Spokane so Sky has ran into him a couple of times. Sky has no fear of him, even though the matches have been relatively one-sided. He told me once that he won't get better if he doesn't wrestle kids like that and the more he wrestles them the more he learns. That's the kind of attitude that gets you places!

The Fall season starts in October and in the meantime he's trying to stay sharp. It should be interesting and I can't wait to see how he does in the new age bracket. Should be a lot of fun!