Job Ideas?

Talk related to anything & everything.
derekp1999
4 point
4 point

Re: Job Ideas?

Post by derekp1999 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:49 pm

Fantastic advice guys.
I'm a microbiologist and work in the medical device industry... my employer allows me flexible hours and provides generous time off which is great for pursuing my hobbies and spending time with my young family. I graduated with my degree at the age of 27 and at age 20 I never would have even considered a career in a science lab until I took a couple micro classes in college.
But now I love it & I can honestly say that I did not find my career, it found me.
I would rather have a career that allowed me time for my hobbies than turn my hobby into a career. :thumb
“The consequences of our actions are always so complicated, so diverse, that predicting the future is a very difficult business indeed.”
-Albus Dumbledore

firefighterbraun
3 point
3 point

Post by firefighterbraun » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:48 pm

First bit of advice is don't settle for a job if it's not what you want to do, no matter how long it takes to get your "dream" job. It took me a couple years to finally land my dream job. I am a Salt Lake City firefighter and in my opinion there isn't a better job on the planet. That being said, it is a very competive job to get. But if you work hard and have patience you could do it. I personally think I have the best schedule. Work for 48 hours and then off for 96 hours. Also get about 11-14 paid vacation days a year and a couple of days of personal leave. So combined it gives me lots of time to be doing things I enjoy. Spending time with my family and enjoying the outdoors. But its not for everyone. High stress job with high risk at times. But then again, I am an adrenaline junkie so it fits me just right. lol Best of luck in deciding what you want to do. Just make sure you enjoy it!

sagehunter
Spike
Spike

Post by sagehunter » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:01 pm

I am a firefighter and it is an awesome job for hunting and outdoor activities. I work 10- 24 hr shifts a month so basically I have 20 days off a month. My schedule goes like this 24 on 24 off 24 on 24 off 24 on 96 off and then starts over again. I also have 10 shifts of paid vacation per year. This year I have all of september off. The longer I work here the more days vacation I earn up to 16 days per year. Its also a very exciting and fullfilling job. A lot of fire depts do not require any schooling, they will put you through a 3 to 5 month training academy once your hired. If anyone wants more details pm me.

sagehunter
Spike
Spike

Post by sagehunter » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:04 pm

I just now read firefighterbrauns post lol I am a firefighter in Cheyenne wy and live in Colorado.

JBird
Monster
Monster

Post by JBird » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:59 pm

I'm in your same boat. Right now I'm a range seasonal with the BLM. If you want a government job the key is to get your foot in the door next summer try to get a job with some government agency be it state or federal even if it's not in your field. I'm looking in to biology but I'm working in the range program. You may even look into fighting fire.Second be prepared to get a maseters if you plan to be a biologist. I've talked to numerous and most say you need a masters or some other random qualification that sets you apart to get a job. I've also heard that there are more job oppertunities in Nevada.