Job Ideas?

Talk related to anything & everything.
nvbowhunting
Fawn
Fawn

Job Ideas?

Post by nvbowhunting » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:50 pm

So maybe this is a little bit of a different question, but I am 20 years old and I am just thinking about what I want to do in this life for a career ha. I´m really into the outdoors and I have thought a little bit about getting some type of job for Fish and Wildlife Services or BLM or something like that... I´m not too familiar about the jobs that are out there, but maybe you guys can help me out...
What are some of the jobs that I could look into?
What kind of schooling would I need to get for that career (I am still planning on being in college for at least 3 more years)?
What are some things that a wildlife biologist does?

I just really enjoy being in the outdoors a lot so it would only make sense to get a job where I can spend time outside, right? If I have to have a "desk job" for 30 years I might go crazy ha.

Any ideas??
Thanks!

PS: I not looking for a "tree hugger" job where I have to go out and count how many blades of grass there are in an area ha... just keep that in mind ;) haha

Turokman123
2 point
2 point

Re: Job Ideas?

Post by Turokman123 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:04 pm

I would go with a biologist. There is always an opening for one out here. I would go with a masters in it. No idea what they do, but they do make some good money, I can tell you that much
2010 Strother SR-71 390 grain arrow @ ~60# >-------> 298 FPS with 74.6 KE. Slick Trick Army.
"Is it elk season yet?"

nvbowhunting
Fawn
Fawn

Post by nvbowhunting » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:21 pm

Ya I have looked at a biologist a little bit and it seems like it would be a sweet job with good money... What do you think I would need to do to get a job like that (besides more schooling of course)? but are there some part time jobs or volunter things that i could do to up my chances of getting a job like that in the future??

Mularcher
4 point
4 point

Post by Mularcher » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:57 pm

Might want to look into being a Department Natural Resources Officer

Education
2 or 4-year degree in criminal justice

Duties,
* enforcing criminal laws, vehicle laws, drug laws, etc. in the State Parks.
* patrolling lakes and rivers to check boating safety equipment and watercraft registration
* enforcing the fish and wildlife laws (checking hunters, trappers, sport and commercial fishermen for licenses, fish & game size/possession limits, season dates and hours, etc.)
* enforcing timber buyers and forest products transportation laws; endangered species laws; snowmobile registration and operation laws; Federal fish & wildlife laws; commercial establishments (e.g fur buyers, taxidermists, fish markets) and Departmental (DNR) Administrative Rules & Regulations.

ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
2-year degree and 3 consecutive years of experience as a police officer with the same law enforcement agency or a 4-year degree

I looked into it back in the day, Only drawback would be you might be working when you want to be hunting.
“If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it.” Fred Bear

ARCHER11
2 point
2 point

Post by ARCHER11 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:02 pm

I was in your same situation not too long ago but I came to a little different conclusion... It's just my opinion so take it with a grain of salt. I too love the outdoors and for the longest time struggled trying to determine what I could do with my life that would let me be outside and involved in the hunting community. I received some advice that changed the way I looked at things... I was told not to make work out of something you love because before long you might not love it anymore. I could totally see that being true in my case. That might not be true for you and I by no means like to be a negative Nancy or discourage people from reaching goals and having that dream outdoor job. But it's something to consider. Take for example owning an archery shop, (it's something I looked into) If you talk to a few archery shop owners I bet they'll say they hardly have time to enjoy archery or bowhunting. Hunting season is a busy time for archery shops and being busy at work keeps you out of the mountains. I took a different route and am aiming for a job that will give me a little more flexible schedule and allow me time to be with my family and enjoy the outdoors. Good luck with this stage of life. Determining a career path was a very frustrating time for me but i'm feeling great about the way things are going now haha
I'm a member of PETA: People who Eat Tasty Animals

nvbowhunting
Fawn
Fawn

Post by nvbowhunting » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:09 pm

Thanks for the info... I will definitely think about that. Just curious, what job are you trying to get or already have? Just curious... Another question, what are some jobs out there that are pretty good jobs, but would allow me to still have time in the mountains? I have looked into city firefighter, but those arent easy jobs to get... but they do have the possibility of getting quite a bit of time off to hunt, be with family, etc...
Any ideas?

ARCHER11
2 point
2 point

Post by ARCHER11 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:29 pm

I'm shooting to become a CFP (Certified Financial Planner). I've got another year of school and it will be a couple years after that of getting certified, building a client base, and getting things figured out before I start seeing the benefits. It's going to be a really busy life for a while and I might miss a few hunts in the early stages but the flexibility and pay will be worth it in the long run. It's a tough business to get started in so I may start with some big corporate finance company and go to a retirement planning type firm later on. Whatever it is you decide to do, definitely try and get some hands on experience with the job. Experience is huge and every little bit counts.

If anyone is interested in fee only retirement planning, shoot me a PM. I can get you details on the complimentary consultations our firm offers.

ABert

Post by ABert » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:17 pm

Probably the last thing you want to hear but the military can be a very good career. I joined the Navy straight out of high school because I knew I was to immature to go to college (away from home, pretty gals, no curfew, parties...you get the picture). After my first enlistment still didn't know what I wanted to do in life. Well, 26 years passed by before I knew it and I retired. Now, I can work any job I want or not work at all. I have pretty much a "dream" job that allows me more freedoms than I've ever know as far as time off, family time, etc. And if I don't work? Not a problem, I get a check the first of the month, every month for the rest of my life.

I busted my butt and sacrificed early in my life to be able to enjoy the rest of my life. Missed many, many birthdays, holidays, anniversaries, etc over the years, but no more. My job now allows me to take off whenever I want and I am financially stable enough to miss a week or six months of work with no worries.

Again, I'm fairly certain that was not what you wanted to hear.
It ain't the size of the gun but the placement of the bullet.

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Post by Springville Shooter » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:29 pm

Like you, I wanted to work in the woods at age 20, so I logged during the day while I went to school at night to become a forester. As I started my family, I changed gears and went into communications as I thought that it offered more security and money. 17 years later, I am still in communications and work as a project manager. I have found that even though I am not a forester, or biologist, or ranger: I am still mobile and outside more than inside. These benefits combined with good pay and liberal time off make me content in my career. My advice would be to focus more on the big picture than specifics as far as outdoor work goes. Find a career that balances all of your goals and go after it. Also, don't discount the good advice that Abert posted. The military can be a real launchpad for a young person. Whatever you do, pursue education to the 4 year level and pay for as much as you can while you go. This life "education" will be more valuable than anything you will learn in the classroom. My wife and I went through school together with no student loans and the lessons we learned during those hard years have certainly paid dividends. Whatever you do, enjoy the ride my friend! 4c ----------SS
Last edited by Springville Shooter on Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Only accurate rifles are interesting"-----Col. Townsend Whelen

ARCHER11
2 point
2 point

Post by ARCHER11 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:34 pm

AWESOME advice SS!