Long Range scope options

Talk related to anything & everything.
muleywannabe
2 point
2 point

Long Range scope options

Post by muleywannabe » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:08 pm

I would like some opinions on a long range scope please. I would like to put it on a .270 WSM rifle.

thanks

TheGreatwhitehunter

Re: Long Range scope options

Post by TheGreatwhitehunter » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:35 am

There are several good options out there, are you going to use a custom dial on the scope?

I personally like the Zeiss 4.5-14 or the 6.5-20 conquest model.

Leupold also makes several great options

You can get custom dials made for the load and caliber you are going to use.
THE LORD IS MY ROCK

ABert

Post by ABert » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:31 pm

No experience yet but my next scope, very soon, will be a Vortex Viper HS in 4X16X44. As soon as my rifle I have on order ships I'll be ordering the scope.

Many, many choices out there and just as many opinions on which is the best. My advice, look through as much glass as you can and make up you own mind rather that listen to someone who dropped a few bucks on a scope so it has to be good to them.
It ain't the size of the gun but the placement of the bullet.

muleywannabe
2 point
2 point

Post by muleywannabe » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:04 pm

I have been looking hard at the Trijicon scopes, Vortex and Nightforce...I just dont want to have to go back to college and learn calculus again to figure out how to use the scopes. haha.

JBird
Monster
Monster

Post by JBird » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:28 am

I don't have much experience but I know my buddy owns three of the Vortex Vipers. Two he just has the simple turrets and a load sheet and on the one he has the custom etched turrets. He likes them both the custom turrets just run a little extra $. Another buddy has a Night Force and really likes it.

digger11
Fawn
Fawn

Post by digger11 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:35 pm

If you don't want to spend crazy money look at the Nikons with the BDC reticle.I have 4 and have been really pleased with the results,
You have to have access to a chronograph.But after the load development it's light out at some pretty
good distances.
As things go today they are a poor mans option.I have 4 for the price of one NightForce

muleywannabe
2 point
2 point

Post by muleywannabe » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:20 am

good point Digger. I appreciate the input.

TexasHunter83
2 point
2 point

Post by TexasHunter83 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:43 pm

I have a couple of Nikons with BDC reticles and I love them. Of course, I can't afford to spend big money on optics so I'm sure there are others out there I'd love more. The great thing about Nikon is they have a website called Nikon Spot On where you can select the scope you bought, select the caliber you're shooting, select the brand and actual type of bullet you're shooting (Ex: Federal Premium Nosler Ballistic Tip) and they have a ballistic calculator that will do the math for you and tell you the ranges for your BDC reticle. You can also select the yardage you want your crosshairs zeroed as well as a target distacne. For example: I have my .308 zeroed at 200 yards and the figure will show me the ranges of each bullet drop circle below my crosshairs. If I wanted to zero my scope at 200 yards, but only wanted to shoot at a 100 yard target, it will tell me exactly how high I must hit at 100 yards to be dead on at 200. It's a really cool website. You can also print out small 3x2 inch cards with the picture of your reticle and the yardage each circle represents to keep with you in the field. I've seen some people tape them to the stock of the gun and once they range their target, they'll look at their card to see which cirlce they need to use.

9er
Monster
Monster

Post by 9er » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:22 pm

Leupold works good for me.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
Watch your top knot!

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Post by Springville Shooter » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:18 pm

9er wrote:Leupold works good for me.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
+1. I have shot all types of scopes including Nightforce, Vortex, and Swarovski and I always return to the guys from Oregon. Service is top notch, scopes are field tough, eye relief is generous, and they just plain work good. There are many, many good scope options, but Leupold is my personal fav.----SS
"Only accurate rifles are interesting"-----Col. Townsend Whelen