Talk related to anything & everything.
TexasHunter83
2 point
2 point

Re: Long Range scope options

Post by TexasHunter83 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:50 am

9er wrote:Leupold works good for me.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

What I have noticed between Leupold and Nikon is that the Leupolds seem to have a wider field of view even with the same mm objective. When you look through a Nikon you still have a good sight picture and a good field of view, but the picture doesn't take up the entire eyepiece. You can see the "edges of black" around your picture. The Leupold's picture takes up the entire eyepiece; which is definitely a plus. I love Leupolds, just like the Nikon price. I guess I'm a cheap-skate. lol

9er
Monster
Monster

Post by 9er » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:59 pm

TexasHunter83 wrote:
9er wrote: I love Leupolds, just like the Nikon price. I guess I'm a cheap-skate. lol
You can find a vx1 for around $250. Hard to get much cheaper these days. Another $200 to have turrets made and your set.

I would like to try a nikon on a 22-250 though :)
Watch your top knot!

TexasHunter83
2 point
2 point

Post by TexasHunter83 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:26 am

9er wrote:
TexasHunter83 wrote:
9er wrote: I love Leupolds, just like the Nikon price. I guess I'm a cheap-skate. lol
You can find a vx1 for around $250. Hard to get much cheaper these days. Another $200 to have turrets made and your set.

I would like to try a nikon on a 22-250 though :)
My uncle won't buy anything but Leupold. I put my last scope on a .308 and wanted something with bullet drop hashes, dots, or circles. I couldn't find anything cheaper than $300 in the Leupold so that's why I kind of ruled them out. I found a 3-9x50 Nikon with a BDC for $200. Since they have a Lifetime Warranty also I figured I'd go with it. Plus I was saving money for an EOTech for another "toy" I have...

Muley Shed Freak
3 point
3 point

Post by Muley Shed Freak » Sun May 05, 2013 8:02 pm

nightforce or premier.
S&B arent what they use to be.
zeiss is ok, along with swaro.

anything else, dont bother. IMO

southwind
Monster
Monster

Post by southwind » Tue May 07, 2013 9:51 am

I own Leupold's, Nikon's, Burris, Zeiss, Swarovski, Vortex and a few other odds and ends. Without a doubt the Nightforce and Schmidt and Benders of the world are tremendous optics for serious long range work but everything I own are under the $1000.00 range and for most practical hunting situations for me are shots out to 600 yards.

I like all the scopes I have and the rifle I use more than any which is my win model 70 300 wsm happens to have a Nikon Monarch on it with a ballistic turret and it has served me well. I have a few Zeiss Consquest in the 3x9 and 4x14's I really like, and my leupy's as well but the scope I am really enjoying right now is a Swarovski Z3 4x12 my wife gave me for Christmas and I put it on top of my Win model 70 270 wsm it is really a super scope. I have a votex viper hs lr on a 7mm mag rem 700 and like it too but the bdc reticle is a little too fine for my liking. I have heard the new models are bolder.

Anyway, we enjoy a lot of good choices with a lot of options.

Just saw you (op) are from Independance, I'm in Howard almost every weekend.

M.Bird
3 point
3 point

Post by M.Bird » Thu May 09, 2013 7:58 pm

do you really want to shoot long range with high quality optics? US optics or Schmidt and Bender, you will have the finest optics for long range shooting.

Here is the problem it cost 2-4 times what your rifle cost, but i will assure you will have a clear view of what you are shooting with a very dependable turrets that will go back to zero every-time.

best of luck

waspocrew
4 point
4 point

Post by waspocrew » Tue May 21, 2013 1:24 pm

My .270 WSM wears a Vortex Viper HS 2.5-10x44. It's been a great addition to my rifle and is plenty of magnification. My 7mm RM Sendero wears a Vortex Viper HS LR 4-16x44. It's still pretty new, but I've enjoyed it so far. It has the exposed turret and tracks very well. I'm hoping to play around with it more this summer. I highly recommend it.

I've got a Nikon Buckmaster 6-18X40 scope on my 22-250 and it's been great for shooting rock chucks and the like. I think the 4.5-14x would have worked just as good, but I got a better deal on the 6-18. It has the BDC reticle and works pretty well for general shooting. It's a little harder if you're using it to shoot for groups though as the circles are a bit large on targets at 200 and further.

It all just depends on what you're really wanting to do with your rifle. Long range big game hunting, I don't know if I'd really go past 16x on the upper end. Sure it's nice on the long shots, but it also can be very hard for follow up shots.