Is this you? be honest

Talk related to anything & everything.
M.Bird
3 point
3 point

Is this you? be honest

Post by M.Bird » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:45 pm

With all the hype about bullet speed and rifle accuracy, have we lost the art of hunting?
You can get your rest out, set it up on the concert bench, adjust your chair, check your target with your 60 power spotting scope (you see the fly landing on the upper right hand of your target). You bring your rifle to your shoulder, wearing you t-shirt with gun brand on it, get your check weld move a little, adjust your scope, reset your check, place your hand on the stock, start squeezing the trigger, then let off because someone else fired, you go through this again and hit the black, you do this 2 more times. You bring your target back, lay it on the bench and get you digital calipers out and start measuring the group spread, you come up with 1.05 inch 3 shot group and you are happy.
Don’t laugh you have done it also!
Ok you are ready to move your target from the 50yd line to the 100yd line.
You get your target to 100 and crank up that scope to max power (14? Or better) you shoot up your target, have a couple of flyers, but most are in the black of a standard 100yrd sight-in. you are happy
You go home and clean your prized rifle from a hard day at the range, the bore is cleaner than the day it left the factory, it is oiled in all the right places, you tuck it to bed in its special place in the safe and dream of hunting season 3 months away.
Why you are waiting for the start of season, you use countless ballistic programs and know every hold over on your dot system, you have calculated the turns on the knob for every distance.
Hunting season arrives, you are up in the hills opening day with your buddies, have a great camp area and know there are lots of deer. You are dressed in the latest and greatest high-tech layers, poly-pro base, thermal 1st layer, space age 2nd layer, fleece 3rd layer, good jacket and safety vest to top it out (you look like the little kid in the “Christmas Story”) you get to your favorite spot you can see opening and parks over 700yrds away.
You spot movement, you know it is a buck, buddy confirms buck, you see horn shine from the morning sun, you range this buck 456yrds true yardage downhill, you dial the scope turrets to 450, you put the cross hairs on him, can’t see him clear (scope power up scotty) now I have him 14 power I see all now, you shoot and miss, but he is standing there, shoot again, another miss you are high, hold low shoot again miss low, now he is moving you shoot again clear miss 10ft behind him.
What could have gone wrong?
If you cannot answer, YOU HAVE LOST HOW TO HUNT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I hope everyone has a good season
M.Bird

a_bow_nut

Re: Is this you? be honest

Post by a_bow_nut » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:35 pm

I have just one word for all of that.

ARCHERY. :))

I'm kidding of course.
Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell
the difference.

derekp1999
4 point
4 point

Post by derekp1999 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:26 pm

I didn't think anyone was watching me
“The consequences of our actions are always so complicated, so diverse, that predicting the future is a very difficult business indeed.”
-Albus Dumbledore

M.Bird
3 point
3 point

Post by M.Bird » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:31 pm

Ok here we go:
When was the last time you hunted in your t-shirt for Big Game in the west? You add several layers of clothing changing how you hold you weapon (if you think this is wrong: try it)
How many have had a bench to shoot off of when they spotted game in the field with your chair and spotting scope set next to it: practice shooting over your back pack after running in place of 1 minute)
Do you take your rifle out midsummer and happy with a 6 inch group off a bench at 100yrds? A hunter is a marksman, a marksman is a hunter: others just send lead and powder downrange
Not shoot from other positions and not shoot at all during the fall? Practice scout scout and pratice
Most of you got the part about the hold over with your mil-dot: is your scope a true mil dot? Unless you have spent some big money (more than the cost of the rifle) I will guess not
You plant you butt in a spot and start looking, you spot your game and don’t try to stock the animal: close is good!
How can you be competent when you never put yourself in the situation?
Hunting is not long range target practice

Muley Shed Freak
3 point
3 point

Post by Muley Shed Freak » Sun May 05, 2013 7:58 pm

what? never have i done anything you just discribed and i shoot long distance.
where the burn did you copy and paste that from?

southwind
Monster
Monster

Post by southwind » Tue May 07, 2013 10:41 am

Actually I do practice in field conditions, positions and temps in addition to any bench work but I wouldn't be happy with a 6" group at 100 yards unless I was shooting off hand balancing one legged on a post in a 50 mph driving sleet storm.

M.Bird
3 point
3 point

Post by M.Bird » Thu May 09, 2013 7:41 pm

no past and copy, i was reading old notes from the range, and notes from when i guided and just remembered a lot of hunters that i have seen over the years, just getting long in the tooth and remembering my younger days