i need tips to get drawn for elk

Talk related to anything & everything.
Curtisshootsdeer
2 point
2 point

i need tips to get drawn for elk

Post by Curtisshootsdeer » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:36 pm

this is m first time putting in a draw for elk and i was wondering if i could get some tips (if you don't mind sharing them :-$ )
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison.

Genesis 27:3 King James Version

JBird
Monster
Monster

Re: i need tips to get drawn for elk

Post by JBird » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:03 am

Put an extra $50 in the donation box, that seems to help. Just kidding. If you really want to draw you may need to look into some of the less popular units, archery or muzzle loader tags and or an antler less tag. I see you're from AZ so I'm assuming that it where you are putting in for and I've noticed that first time applicants especially kids, draw a fair amount of tags. I believe AZ also offers special youth tags/hunts, I know they do for deer but not sure about elk. And if you want a good tag like unit 9 or 10 start applying now and in a couple years you'll eventually draw it.

Curtisshootsdeer
2 point
2 point

Post by Curtisshootsdeer » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:22 pm

i am putting in for 9 antler less and it is my first time and am 11 years old so you are saying i have a good chance right?
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison.

Curtisshootsdeer
2 point
2 point

Post by Curtisshootsdeer » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:48 pm

i actually am doing 6a junior only hunt any tips

BOHNTR

Post by BOHNTR » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:57 am

Buy the detailed statistics book published by AZ G&F. If you understand statistical data, you can learn a lot from this book. You'll find that the unit with the most tags is not always the easiest unit to draw......and there's several "non-hyped" units where decent bulls are taken annually.

I've drawn four non-resident bull elk tags in 20 years.......a five year average. Not bad for a non-resident. None of my hunts occurred in the popular "big bull" units, yet I had a great time hunting P&Y caliber bulls. It all comes down to what you want to hunt and understanding statistics. Good luck in the draw.
BOHNTR )))-------------->

Bowhunting Editor-Western Hunter Magazine
Pope & Young Measurer
Boone & Crockett Measurer

out4blood
Fawn
Fawn

Post by out4blood » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:09 pm

I agree, do not apply to "Hype" units. A little research goes a long way.
DIY=You earned it.

Curtisshootsdeer
2 point
2 point

Post by Curtisshootsdeer » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:49 pm

just put in for draw 5 min. ago thanks for tips!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!