Age limit to hunt big game in utah?

Talk related to anything & everything.
DeadI

Post by DeadI » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:10 pm

Utah was one of the few that was still at an older age limit. Personaly, I wish they would have left small game at 12 and big at 14.

I don't know to many 12 year olds that are responsible enought to have this privledge given to them. Heck for that matter there allot of adults that shouldn't be allowed, I just don't see any + for it other than the DWR is going to generate that much more revenue.

Just my ($$) Take it for what it is worth. I know that there alot of people that love the idea, I just not to sure on it.
Deadi

bigbuck92
Monster
Monster

Post by bigbuck92 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:18 pm

ya. i aint likin the idea to much either
Cody
Old hunters NEVER die,they just have better camo.

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:25 pm

I'm with you DeadI, I thought it was good the way it was. Lots of young guns that aren't to responsible with guns. They want if for money IMO. They say it's a good way to keep/get kids involved in hunting. I say bogus.

Fathers keep kids in hunting!! If the dads loose interest, then revenue drops. The DWR is doing a great job in some areas. In others I think deserve a much lower grade.

I talked to one father recently, who is 'fed up' with hunting opportunity and tag availability and quality of hunting. He said the heck with it last year and took his family on a west coast fishing trip.

First year he decided to bag hunting altogether. He has one boy hunting age now and more younger soon. If he is disgusted and looses interest then forget about his kids hunting.

We have to keep the current hunters we have happy and excited, then by default they will teach and raise there kids the same.

Anway I better be quiet now. :))

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:41 pm

DeadI, I agree also. I kept my oldest son from getting his license for an extra two years because I wasn't satisfied with his level of respect when it came to carrying a firearm. He could shoot the heck out of it but was a bit careless as far as carrying it, pointing it, etc (hyper-active little bugger!). He was a bit upset about it then but has a much more well-rounded respect for firearms. I would not have changed it for anything.

cutbank
Fawn
Fawn

Post by cutbank » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:39 pm

hawk i agree with you. my oldest daghter was ready at 12 . michigan requires an adult be with ahunter under the age of 17.
born to hunt

DeadI

Post by DeadI » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:39 pm

Glad to see im not the only one.

It is especialy tough being a hunter ed teacher, and telling some dad that we are not letting any one younger than 10 take that class and even at that encourage them to wait a little longer, the kids we have taught so far that are 10 and under have the hardest time reading and understanding the reading that is reuired.

There are plenty of places to take hunter ed. I am not going to mess with the younuns.
Deadi

9er
Monster
Monster

Post by 9er » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:41 pm

you did see they REMOVED the age for small game!!!!!!!!i was amazed when i saw some 8-9 yr old kid in sportsmans buying a new shotgun for HIS turkey hunt. i would hate to be hunting in that area!

9er

DeadI

Post by DeadI » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:45 pm

yea i knew that the small game did not have a min age.
Deadi

Hiker

Post by Hiker » Tue May 01, 2007 12:32 pm

DeadI, you have a good inside view on this subject, as you have taught hunters ed to 100's of kids. I personally really appreciate your service to the hunting community. IMHO hunting, education and gun safety should be taught by the father or a close relative. It takes 2-5 solid years to get a child up to speed on gun safety. When the child finally takes your course, it should be fairly easy for them to score really high and pass with no problem because someone else has been working with and educating that child for years. I had two daughters take our hunters ed here in Colorado when they were 11 & 9. The 11 year old had a lot of experience hunting, shooting and a good overall understanding of gun safety and hunting and passed in the top of the class. The 9 year old learned a lot but still wasn't ready. I'm working with her and in another year or two she'll be ready to take the class again. I'm glad that Colorado & Wyoming has the age at 12, other wise I wouldn't have experienced this last fall when Cowgirl In Colorado killed her first doe & buck antelope in WY. BTW the doe was killed with one shot at 351 yards and her buck was a close to 200 yards.
Attachments
Jessica's Buck antelope Oct. 25, 2006.jpg
Jessica's Buck antelope Oct. 25, 2006.jpg (85.6 KiB) Viewed 3420 times
Hiker

Proverbs 3:5-6

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Tue May 01, 2007 3:40 pm

i agree with hiker on this. i was 8 yrs old when i passed my hunter safety. but this was after a few yrs of ALOT of being out with my dad in the woods camping and shooting with VERY strict safety lessons. my first two guns were a single shot 22 and a single shot 4-10. it was practice alot and every once in a while i would get a real bullet to shoot at whatever it was we were shooting at. when it came time to get my hunter safety so i could hunt birds when i did turn 9, there was only 2 kids in the whole class that scored higher. the instructers are great and i do appriciat their time but if anyone thinks a kid can just out of the blue go to a 3 night class with 1 day out in the woods and then be safe in the woods your crazy. you wouldn't give someone their drivers licence after just parking a coar once would you??? so i'm not for raising the age limit i just think that alot of dads are getting lazy in doing their part of the system. i know many 20 yr old and older people that shouldn't have a gun in their hands either . so each situation is different. and like AGC stated a parent can tell if the kid isn't ready then it is there job to hold back a kid for a while untill their ready. just my OP.Image