opinion on high fence hunts

Talk related to anything & everything.
muley crazy 1
Fawn
Fawn

opinion on high fence hunts

Post by muley crazy 1 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:24 pm

i shot a elk in kansas on a high fenced farm with my bow. i am only 15

and some of the guys didnt think it was that great.

what do ya all think let me know.

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:44 pm

muley crazy 1, this same topic comes up about every 6 months or so and I can tell ya, it's not a highly thought of thing to do here at MM. If you are honestly lookin' for folk's unabashed opinions on the topic then I'm sure you'll get 'em.

I realize that you're only 15 and, without sounding "fatherly" or condescending, I think you have some growing yet to do and some decisions to make on what you consider "hunting".
I personally do not like high fenced operations at all. I see it as nothing more than shooting a penned-in animal with no way to escape. It's about as far from hunting as going to the local market and "harvesting" a side of beef.

Again, you're still just a kid so I don't want to go after ya with both guns blazing. You asked and I answered, nothing more. You are more than welcome to throw out any thoughts and opinions you may have on the subject and don't worry, you won't offend me at all. We are all free and entitled to our opinions.

True hunting, in my opinion, is a man or woman trying to out-think, out-smart, and out-maneuver some of the most beautiful and intelligent animals in the world...and may the best "beast" win. After all, if the animal has no chance then there is no "thrill of the chase"...and without that it's not worth doing. Besides, the best part of hunting, again this is my opinion, is the stalk itself. If your successful then the work begins and the fun is over until next year. The animal should have as fair a shake in the whole process as the hunter himself. Penning an animal in and chasing it down is no fair to the animal and robs it of its dignity...and if that sounds corny to anyone then either I don't get it or you don't.

Take care young man and I hope you take the responses accordingly.

Mark
3 point
3 point

Post by Mark » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:59 pm

You could have saved yourself a lot of money and just bought a cow at the butcher shop.

There is nothing about a high fenced shoot that I would personally want to be a part of.

I hunt fair chase as defined by P&Y and B&C. That's just the way I hunt. I see no need to hunt caged animals.

If shooting something at a high fenced ranch works for you, then have at it. I just don't count canned hunts as much of an accomplishment as far as hunting is concerned.

That said, I also don't condemn those that choose to "hunt" high fenced compounds. If it's legal, go for it.

If you're okay with it then who cares what we think...
Hoyt

a_bow_nut

Post by a_bow_nut » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:30 pm

No thanks I prefer to hunt wild game myself.
Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell
the difference.

Coloradobuck
Monster
Monster

Post by Coloradobuck » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:54 pm

to me high finced hunts are the rich peoples thinging that their hunters even though thats not hunting at all. to have the opertunity to hunt elk for 10 bucks on wide open public land and then not to take that opertunity. that to me is a "below the belt" puch to hunting.im 16 and you will never see me in a high finced hunt ever. thats just MY opinun.

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:51 pm

to each their own, but for me personally i dont even begin to think of it as hunting. how much scouting was needed? what was the odds of being unsuccsesful? what are the season dates? many more that all relate to hunting and none of them relate to high fence shooting. and by the looks of that bull i would have to agree that it is probably cross bred.
do you also hunt regular free ranging hunt? if not you should give it a try i think you 'll find the reward is 100% better when you kill something fair chase. i'm sure it was still a very enjoyable trip to spend time with your family and that is great! if thats what brings them all together then keep it up!

BOHNTR

Post by BOHNTR » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:55 pm

That wasn't hunting.....it was killing. IMO
BOHNTR )))-------------->

Bowhunting Editor-Western Hunter Magazine
Pope & Young Measurer
Boone & Crockett Measurer

NONYA
Monster
Monster

Post by NONYA » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:23 pm

Its not hunting,its killing livestock,Ill sell you a red angus steer "hunt" for $3000,ill even turn it out into a section pasture so u can tell everyone how big the enclosure was and how wild they were.We outlawed that crap her in MT for everything but bison,I wish more states would stand up and protect their wild herds from diseases like CWD by doing the same,its a sad substitute for hunting,the worst part is most of these " hunts" cost more than a good fairchase guided hunt. :222

proutdoors
3 point
3 point

Post by proutdoors » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:35 pm

NONYA wrote:Its not hunting,its killing livestock,Ill sell you a red angus steer "hunt" for $3000,ill even turn it out into a section pasture so u can tell everyone how big the enclosure was and how wild they were.We outlawed that crap her in MT for everything but bison,I wish more states would stand up and protect their wild herds from diseases like CWD by doing the same,its a sad substitute for hunting,the worst part is most of these " hunts" cost more than a good fairchase guided hunt. :222
AMEN!
The Mind can only serve one Master, either gratitude or despair--but not both.

UtahRob
4 point
4 point

Post by UtahRob » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:39 pm

:>/

I personally hate high fenced ( HUNTING ? ) . It's nothing more than shooting a penned animal , that has no way to escape. :>/