Deer hunting may put men's hearts at risk

Talk related to anything & everything.
AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Deer hunting may put men's hearts at risk

Post by AGCHAWK » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:38 pm

I found this article on the net tonight. I laughed at it a bit at first but then thought to myself..."How many times has my heart "skipped a beat", "stopped dead", "raced excitedly", or "jumped with joy" while out hunting and enjoying the great outdoors?"

....and better yet, "IS THERE A BETTER WAY TO GO?!?!?!"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Deer hunting could be a dangerous endeavor for men with heart disease or risk factors for it, research findings suggest.

In a study of 25 middle-aged male deer hunters, researchers found that the activities inherent to hunting -- like walking over rough terrain, shooting an animal and dragging its carcass -- sent the men's heart rates up significantly.

In some cases, this led to potentially dangerous heart-rhythm disturbances, or diminished oxygen supply to the heart.

Of the 25 hunters, 17 had established coronary heart disease, while the rest had risk factors such as being overweight, smoking or having high blood pressure or cholesterol.

The findings suggest that for men like these, hunting could boost the risk of heart attack or cardiac arrest.

Susan Haapaniemi and colleagues at William Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oaks, Michigan, report the findings in the American Journal of Cardiology.

For the study, the researchers outfitted each man with a portable monitor that continuously recorded his heart's electrical activity during a day of deer hunting. For comparison, the men also had their hearts monitored as they exercised on a treadmill on a separate day.

In general, the researchers found, deer hunting put the men's hearts under more strain than the treadmill did. Ten men exceeded the maximum heart rate they logged on the treadmill, and several showed potentially dangerous heart responses to hunting that they did not show during the treadmill test.

Three men had signs of impeded blood flow to the heart during hunting, but not on the treadmill. Similarly, three of the men with heart disease had heart-rhythm abnormalities while hunting that did not show up on the treadmill test.

The combination of physical exertion, adrenaline rush and the stress of rough terrain and cold weather may explain the "excessive cardiac demands" seen with hunting, according to Haapaniemi's team.

What's more, they point out, most of the men in the study were taking part in an exercise program to treat their heart disease, or were regularly physically active. Hunting could be an even greater strain on the heart in men who are usually sedentary, the researchers note.

SOURCE: American Journal of Cardiology, July 15, 2007.

bigbuck92
Monster
Monster

Post by bigbuck92 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:21 pm

ideal way to die :)
Cody
Old hunters NEVER die,they just have better camo.

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:35 pm

i'm kinda hit and miss on this one, yes i couldn't agree more what a way to go! and it does make sence on some of those adrenaline rush moments in the feild! but on the other hand: what are they trying to prove here?? hunting is not healthy??? if so i'd like to compare 100 hunters to 100 couch potatoes and see ! [ GRANTED THE HUNTERS I HATE THE WORST ARE THE COUCH POTATOES THAT ROAD HUNT!!!!!!!!!] but if they are trying to say you would be better off not hunting then to $#&$# with them! we all know you can make any test turn out the way you want depending on the situation. one day you hear that people that drink are more likely to die of cancer/// the next day if you have just 1 drink A day you will be less likely to get cancer??? who really knows??? i'm a hunter till death wheather it speeds up the process or not!!

waynedevore

Post by waynedevore » Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:53 am

My Wife and I have talked about it. If I have the "big one" While hunting.

She should know that it's the way I want it.

We watched my Dad linger in a nursing home for two years. Strokes left him without memory and unable to do basic functions.

No one can convince me that the "big one" while hunting is not the better way to check out. :thumb

BOHNTR

Post by BOHNTR » Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:56 am

Just proves you have to have heart to hunt! :)
BOHNTR )))-------------->

Bowhunting Editor-Western Hunter Magazine
Pope & Young Measurer
Boone & Crockett Measurer

ABert

Post by ABert » Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:36 am

I, too, believe the results are skewed and agree with killer. I can't think of a better way to get exercise than hunting. What other sport can get your heart racing in the blink of an eye. Who among us have thought we spotted that monster buck or bull, heart jumps up in, literally, a heart beat, only to realize it was just a branch or some other thing?

Isn't that what all the quacks tell us we need to do? Get our heart beat up in a certain range for a certain time period? What better than getting a great cardiovascular workout along with strength training than getting that buck out of the woods?

Fresh, clean air, God's beauty all around, companionship with family and friends. You'll never convince me that hunting is bad for the heart.
It ain't the size of the gun but the placement of the bullet.