Site Admin
Site Admin

Sad deal, bowhunter found dead - Utah

Post by MuleyMadness » Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:28 am

Body of missing 24-year-old Santaquin deer hunter recovered

By Nathan C. Gonzalez
The Salt Lake Tribune
Article Last Updated: 09/10/2007 01:11:15 AM MDT

A Utah County Search and Rescue team this morning recovered the body of a 24-year-old deer hunter reported missing late Saturday.
The Santaquin bow hunter was scheduled to be picked up at the mouth of Santaquin Canyon by his mother about midnight but never showed up, said Lt. Dave Bennett, a Utah County sheriff's spokesman. A friend had dropped off the hunter at the canyon earlier in the day.
"His mother was supposed to pick him up at a particular time at the Tinney Flats trail head in Santaquin Canyon," Bennett said.
Authorities have yet to release the name of the hunter. The corpse is expected to undergo an autopsy today or tomorrow.
"There's no obvious signs of a cause of death," Bennett said.
Deputies had searched the area into the night Saturday but were unable to find the hunter. Search-and-rescue crews continued the search at 7 a.m. Sunday with the aid of the sheriff's office airplane.
The man's body was later located by a hiker between 8:30 and 9 a.m. about 1.8 miles from his scheduled meeting point, Bennett said.
"One of our deputies ran into this woman, and asked her to keep her eyes open [for the man reported missing]," Bennett said. "She came down and called 911, saying she found this individual."
ngonzalez@sltrib.com

wildantlerman
3 point
3 point

Post by wildantlerman » Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:58 am

WOW, that is too bad. My parents live by the mouth of the canyon. I have been hunting up there many times even this year bow hunting as well. I usually have some one take me up to Tiny Flats and drop me off then I will hunt down the mountain and have them pick me up on the main canyon road. There are alot of nice bucks but it is very difficult hunt since the fire.
My condolences go out to the hunter and his family.

NONYA
Monster
Monster

Post by NONYA » Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:58 pm

Lots of worse ways to go out,Id rather die on the mountian with muleys in sight than in a hospital bed 30 years later.

COOPERD
Spike
Spike

Post by COOPERD » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:31 pm

Anyone know how he died?

digger
Spike
Spike

Post by digger » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:35 pm

the fire didnt hit that area did it I hunted tha area a couple weeks ago and no fire damage in santaquin canyon
if you get off the 4 wheeler you might see some deer