I'm getting too old.

Talk related to anything & everything.
Larry
2 point
2 point

I'm getting too old.

Post by Larry » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:29 pm

Was starting my 5th of 7 graveyards last night when my son call to let me know he a taken a doe antelope and was headed to the house.
He hung it with the plan of me helping him cut it up in the moring before I went to bed.
The problem is I always do the buchering when he's not around and it's time for him to step up and learn a few things.
I got home around 6:30 to find the goat unskinned and the kid in bed, this was not a good start in my sleep deprived brain. I open the back door and let our lab Pup in to wake the kid up. Shortly after that my son was up,moveing and ready to go.
The nice thing with animals is they got 2 sides to them. I did one side and he did the other and in no time we had it skinned and quarterd.
We moved in the house and started making steaks, roast and cleaning the trimings for burger.
we had to stop so we coud drop his truck off to get a new windshield but by 9:00 all that was left was to vac pack the meat and clean the place up.
My Father Inlaw walk in and asked what he could do to help. I said be very very quite I going to bed!
Next one he's going solo.
I know my spellings bad!

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:36 pm

:)

Glad you got him up, you sound very helpful still! :thumb

southwind
Monster
Monster

Post by southwind » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:15 pm

Well, I can relate and getting him up was good. I need to step back and let my son do more (as well as others). There is only one way to learn as we know. Glad you posted this, he is on his own now.

79Ford
Monster
Monster

Post by 79Ford » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:45 pm

I remember the first year my dad made me clean my own deer. He's so good at gutting that I just never really learned how and always had him do it since he was always there. Then one year he said "nope, you shot it you can clean it". He guided me through it, and now I usually clean his as well as minel. I dont mind, once I knew how it was done it was no big deal.

Good for you for getting him out of bed and putting him to work.

HighLander
Monster
Monster

Post by HighLander » Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:37 pm

When my son kills his first one(he is only 2). he will do the majority of the work.....only way to learn. Glad to hear ya got him out of bed to help!!
ALWAYS CHECK YOUR ARROWS BEFORE SHOOTING.......TRUST ME!!

waynedevore

Post by waynedevore » Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:47 am

All those young hunters need is a push in the right direction. If they love the sport of hunting their usually glad to dive into all the little chores involved.