My First Coues Deer,

Talk anything related to Whitetail or Coues Deer
tracker
Spike
Spike

My First Coues Deer,

Post by tracker » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:33 pm

My family has been applying for a New Mexico Coues deer tag for a long time. This has only been my second year and I was blessed to draw a New Mexico Coues tag.

On Day 1, we woke up at about 4:30am, met with our friend Mr. Jeff and went hunting. The three of us 4 wheeled back in for quite a distance and parked the Jeep. We headed up a mountain trail and when we got to the top and could see clearly, started glassing. Mr. Jeff has a neat setup to glass with, a bipod, attached to his belt, with his fancy binos mounted on top. He could glass like that all day and cover every inch of the terrain. My dad and I tried to stay in the shady areas and glass as well. After a while Mr. Jeff spotted some deer and yes, they were Coues. Wow, what a sight and amazing how well they blended in with their surroundings. We saw quite a few does and one spike. Following that, we then went to another area and spotted a buck right at dusk. We got way off the road and looked for about 10 minutes. The buck got away… God just didn’t want me to have that buck. We called the hunting done for the day and headed back to camp.

On Day 2, Dad and I woke up at about 4:30am, got ready, ate a quick breakfast, and then headed out to hunt. We saw a legal buck cross the road but it was too dark to shoot. Today Mr. Jeff would not be with us. Dad and I tried a river bottom. Down there, we saw about 15 does but no bucks. Following that, we hiked that same river bottom for about two hours. Finding a spot, we watched for a while but saw nothing. Trying then a spot Mr. Jeff told us about, we then called it the end of day two after seeing nothing.

On the last day and day number 3, we woke up at 5:00am. We sited in my gun because I had slipped and hit it lightly the day before. After that, Mr. Jeff arrived to help us. We hunted for about one hour when we spotted a legal buck. As we approached the deer. I prayed that God would give me this buck. We then reached where it was. Then Mr. Jeff saw one buck my dad and I saw another as I took aim the buck turned and I squeezed. I hit the buck in the stomach but however because of the angle it went through his shoulder, destroying most of his inner organs. As I approached the buck I didn’t see it at first. I then looked down and saw it.. a 6x4!! We then prayed and thanked God for His blessings!

What did I learned on this trip? I learned that whenever you are hunting Coues, they look like little mice at 300 yards. At six hundred yards, you can’t see them unless you have high power binos. They don’t move if they know you are there. They just stand still and don’t move.

Thank you for reading my story and sharing the adventure.
More Later,
Tracker
Romans 8:28

WinMag
3 point
3 point

Re: My First Coues Deer,

Post by WinMag » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:26 pm

Congratulations on your successful hunt. :thumb

camodup
3 point
3 point

Post by camodup » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:44 pm

Congrats! How bout some pictures!?
thedailyhuntandfish.com

Pro Staff for Northern Utah Waterfowl
Duck Junkies Field Staff

waynedevore

Post by waynedevore » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:13 am

Tracker, Thanks for sharing your hunt. Congrats on success and a good job. :thumb

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:49 am

Great job young man, I'd like to see some photos also.

primal215
3 point
3 point

Post by primal215 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:42 am

MuleyMadness wrote:Great job young man, I'd like to see some photos also.
+1 :thumb

Hiker

Post by Hiker » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:58 pm

Good write up Tracker. You did a great job on your hunt and congrats on your first Coues Whitetail. =D>
Hiker

Proverbs 3:5-6

TheGreatwhitehunter

Post by TheGreatwhitehunter » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:53 am

Congratulations Luke on your Coues deer =D> =D>
THE LORD IS MY ROCK

tracker
Spike
Spike

Post by tracker » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:51 pm

sorry the computer would not let me put on pictures
Romans 8:28

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:21 pm

right on! great job- you seem to be on the right track-tracker. i wish i could go hunt them sometime :thumb