Idaho whitetail

Talk anything related to Whitetail or Coues Deer
Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Idaho whitetail

Post by Springville Shooter » Tue May 04, 2010 6:12 pm

Got bored, so I decided to post a pic from a hunt a couple years ago in Idaho. This is a deer that I killed on public land on a general hunt in western Idaho. I didn't get him mounted at the time because I lived in a smaller home with no room. Now I have all kinds of room and I wish he was in my office. He's just a three point-21" wide, but his head was huge and his cape was beautiful. I go through phases in hunting it seems and I went to this spot 4 years in a row and killed one other pretty nice 5x5 and a couple of smaller bucks. Been thinking if I don't draw out in Nevada or California that it might be time to go back and try it again. Might even take my daughter as a suprise for Thanksgiving break. Good memories to make!----------SS
Attachments
DSCN1512.JPG
"Only accurate rifles are interesting"-----Col. Townsend Whelen

WinMag
3 point
3 point

Re: Idaho whitetail

Post by WinMag » Tue May 04, 2010 7:34 pm

Nice whitetail. :thumb I would call him a 4x4, and a 21" spread is very good for a whitetail.

capt.nw
Spike
Spike

Post by capt.nw » Tue May 04, 2010 7:54 pm

Nice whitetail! I was just wondering why you want to hunt CA? I lived out there for 20 years shot some good blucktails and a few mulies, but the big game in Idaho or Utah is way better then Ca.
Same Monkey Different Tail....

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Post by Springville Shooter » Tue May 04, 2010 8:20 pm

I like to hunt the Warner Mtn wilderness area. In my opinion, the mule deer hunting there rates with anywhere else I've ever been. I also like to go into the B zone wildernesses with my friends back home where I grew up in Nor-Cal. Welcome to the madness, how bout a story to go with that pic, that's what we all like.----------SS

NotEnufTags
Monster
Monster

Post by NotEnufTags » Tue May 04, 2010 10:15 pm

I'm glad you got bored. Thanks for sharing.
"Some day I'll scout out a monster, spot him while hunting, make the stalk of a lifetime, and have dreams come true. 'Til then I'll be happy with the buck in my cross-hairs."

capt.nw
Spike
Spike

Post by capt.nw » Tue May 04, 2010 11:11 pm

I hunted the X7 and D zones have some good spots out there, I just seem to have more fun hunting in Idaho not sure why.

Well there is not much of a story for that Buck. I had four days to hunt last year and two of those days would be driving. My brother wanted to hunt Salmon. I have hunted Salmon before so I told he I would go with him and show him some spots. He came out from Northen CA. We met up in Caldwell Id and drove to Salmon. Grabbed our hotel room and hit the woods for an evening hunt saw some game, but no shots. In the morning we split up. He went to a spot down off of Hwy 28 and I went right behind the town of Salmon. It was at the end of Oct and from years past I have seen big boys get pushed out of the high mountains and come right into town. Right at day brake this buck was about 50 yards in the BLM zone. shot him at 100 yards loaded him up and head back to the hotel. My brother showed up a few hours with a nice buck and we head back home.

Very fast hunt ,I like them to last longer than that, but with the time frame we had I was happy. The best thing was I got my Mule deer mount. Now I need a Whitetail mount.
Same Monkey Different Tail....

WinMag
3 point
3 point

Post by WinMag » Wed May 05, 2010 3:40 am

capt.nw, ::wel and thanks for sharing the pic and story. :thumb Sounds like your hunt went perfect for the time frame you had.

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Post by Springville Shooter » Wed May 05, 2010 6:40 am

I know that area well. I have some good friends in salmon and have hunted and fished there alot. Never killed anything that big up there, but seen some monsters on private property. I try to get up there a couple times a year for steelhead fishing too.----------SS

sneekeepete
Monster
Monster

Post by sneekeepete » Wed May 05, 2010 7:20 am

Great Whitetail for sure shooter! Thanks for posting.
SNEEKEEPETE
OIF Vet.
Sgt Petersen USMC
Colossians 1:27,28

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Wed May 05, 2010 7:39 am

both of htose are great stories!
i've wanted to do a idaho whitetail hunt for a while. AGCHAWK has gone to idaho alot. seems like there is alot of game.

cool post, i'm glad you got bored :thumb