Bittersweet Success

Talk anything related to Whitetail or Coues Deer
Bigd7400
Spike
Spike

Bittersweet Success

Post by Bigd7400 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:57 pm

Went hunting yesterday in the pouring rain. Around first light I caught the glimpse of something moving in the brush. It didnt take long to realize that it was a buck and then I hunkered down and waited for the shot. The deer eventually moved out into my foodplot and worked his way towards me. I thought for sure he would bust me at any minute because the wind kicked up and was swirling but much to my amazement he just kept comin. Finally at 20yds he turned broadside and gave me that dream shot. As soon as I released the arrow I knew it was a good shot and I heard the impact. The buck took a couple of jumps and then stopped short of edge of the plot and started walking into a thicket. I gave him 30 minutes during which the rain just got worse and then got down and retrieved my blood covered arrow. All was good up until this point, but the rain had washed any trace of a blood trail away. I headed in the direction I last saw him and started making ever widening circles. Nothing. I was down and out. Well I went back today and started walking lines back and forth and searching more methodically and thank the lord I FOUND him! I apologize ahead of time for the pics in the bed of my truck (and its a little cluttered) but its a pic all the same and one I never thought I'd get to take.
Attachments
my buck 2.JPG
my buck 2.JPG (26.94 KiB) Viewed 15744 times
Dreaming of tall tines a straight shots.

MTWillie
Fawn
Fawn

Re: Bittersweet Success

Post by MTWillie » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:30 pm

I have to ask...

What do people get out of using food plots? It's not hunting, sorry. It's sitting and waiting.

For the people that hunt for the meat, that's fine. Because I know of a lot of people that do it for does only. But I can't stand buck hunting from them.
Elk Platform: Mod 70>7 RUM>4-16x50mm Dark Ops Scope
Prior Planning Prevents Piss-Poor Performance

camodup
3 point
3 point

Post by camodup » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:17 pm

As long as their aint a huge a fence, and the critters aint created in a lab, i dont care how ya got him.

Nice buck, great story, and thanks for sharing! :thumb
thedailyhuntandfish.com

Pro Staff for Northern Utah Waterfowl
Duck Junkies Field Staff

ldjbuff
Spike
Spike

Post by ldjbuff » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:24 am

MTWillie wrote:I have to ask...

What do people get out of using food plots? It's not hunting, sorry. It's sitting and waiting.

For the people that hunt for the meat, that's fine. Because I know of a lot of people that do it for does only. But I can't stand buck hunting from them.

This could get ugly... That's like saying people who shoot deer at 300 yrds plus is not hunting either. Really no fair chase in that. Our friends shoot big elk each year on the same hill, at 700 yrds. IMO that is not hunting at all.

With whitetail u either hunt near where they eat or hunt the trails where there walk to eat.

I got my whitetail buck spotting and stalking, but when I saw him he was eating, guess I am a food plot hunter too

Bigd7400
Spike
Spike

Post by Bigd7400 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:54 am

On this particular peice of property its pretty much the only way to hunt it. My wifes parents land was logged about 8 years ago and then it was pretty much let go, which means that the entire thing is about 10ft high of briars, brush and small trees. Its almost impossible to walk through much less hunt so I cut a few 1/2acre openings and planted some stuff to keep the brush down and make it remotely usable. The rest of the places we hunt here in VA are what some would call "Big Woods" where you can pattern deer and place your stands on trails and near bedding areas. This part of the country is not a spot and stalk friendly area, for one most property is less than 100 acres, and in a lot of cases not more than 10 and walking around is the best way to get shot buy your neighbor who posted up about 10ft from your property line. To each his own though and don't get me wrong I want to come out West and try my hand at some muleys, elk and lope.

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Post by Springville Shooter » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:33 pm

Hunting foodplots, shooting long range, hunting on private property, whatever floats your boat. People who come on here and put down others for doing what they personally love bugs me a little. I celebrate the differences we have or we would all be hunting the same season at the same place. Nice buck you got there and I would like to see a certain someone go back east and try to use "western" tactics on an eastern whitetail. Good luck ever seeing one. I agree with the notion that as long as there are no fences involved it's all good. Thanks for sharing your story. I'll take the heat for the long shots cause I take em and I like it. I have actually hiked AWAY from a buck to get to a yardage that I wanted to shoot......cause I wanted to and I have the equipment and expertise to so so......and that's what makes it fun for me.-------SS
"Only accurate rifles are interesting"-----Col. Townsend Whelen

camodup
3 point
3 point

Post by camodup » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:58 pm

](*,) +1

I agree 10 fold shooter.

You always know the words to say.
thedailyhuntandfish.com

Pro Staff for Northern Utah Waterfowl
Duck Junkies Field Staff

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:32 am

to each they're own, great job BIGD on sticking with it. :thumb we had a similer experiance this weekend( i'll post tonight) but it's VERY tough in a big rain storm. thats awsome your efforts paid off.

as far as the food plot comment- for someone with 10 posts to their name, to try and call out another guy on the WWW, is kinda low. i cant stand roadhunting, but alot of guys do it. i cant stand guys shooting 60+ yrds with their bow- but alot of guys do it. as long as your haveing fun great!

thanks for sharing :thumb

Bigd7400
Spike
Spike

Post by Bigd7400 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:56 am

Thank you guys for comments, and support.

Hiker

Post by Hiker » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:25 pm

Nice buck, Good job!
Hiker

Proverbs 3:5-6