Public Land Whitetail!

Talk anything related to Whitetail or Coues Deer
Envious of the West
Fawn
Fawn

Public Land Whitetail!

Post by Envious of the West » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:01 pm

Hello everyone I thought I would share this story with you. I got this buck a couple times on camera over the course of our bow season, I was never able to see him during daylight until two days before our gun season opened. So I hung a stand just outside of his bedding area. Opening morning of gun season, I found myself in the stand an hour and a half before first light. About an hour into legal shooting time, two yahoo's come waltzing under my stand, looking at me the whole time, and proceed to set up less than 100 yds from me......on the ground! Now, just a note, I am a little over 1.5 miles in the middle of a swamp as the crow flies and it takes me over an hour to get to my stand each time. So the last thing I expected was to see another person, especially right under my stand! Paying no attention to the wind, (I don't think they were paying attention to very much to be honest)they set up directly upwind of the bedding area, so as you can imagine, I didn't see very much that morning.
Archery season
Archery season
PICT0113.jpg

The next morning was extremely windy, gusting over 40mph, so I decided to catch up on my sleep. Due to work, I wouldn't be able to be back in the stand until Tuesday. As Tuesday afternoon rolled around I made the trek back out to my stand and checked a camera that I had set up over a large scrape in the little stand of timber I was set up in. As I reviewed the contents of the card, there he was, the morning I slept in, during the daylight! To say I was pumped would be an understatment!
These two pics are from the morning I slept in
These two pics are from the morning I slept in
PICT0225.jpg

You couldn't have ordered a better night to be in the stand, hardly any wind, deer were moving EVERYWHERE! My senses were in high gear! As the evening dwindled down, I thought I was again making the long, wet trek back to the truck empty handed, so I did one quick rattling sequence. About two minutes later I saw movement out of the corner of my eye, and sure enough, after a quick look with my binos I saw this was the buck I was after! I waited for him to clear a small clump of brush, as he stopped I steadied on his vitals and squeezed the trigger! I saw him run about 20 yds in my direction and do the dead-deer-backflip!!

I am SO glad I was wearing my harness, cause I was shaking so bad I know I would have fell out of my stand!! I couldn't have been happier as I walked up to him! He had six points on his left and four on his right. His inside spread is 22"! His body is MASSIVE!! After a four hour pack-out we finally had him back at the truck. I have to say thanks to my brother, his girlfriend and another buddy of ours, without them I think I would still be out there!!
Attachments
IMG_0168.JPG
IMG_0153.jpg
IMG_0142.jpg
Last edited by Envious of the West on Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks to all involved with this site, it is a great resource for hunting enthusiasts, both rookies and seasoned vet's!

BIG R
4 point
4 point

Re: Public Land Whitetail!

Post by BIG R » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:28 pm

Great looking whitey.Congrats

waspocrew
4 point
4 point

Post by waspocrew » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:31 pm

That is a beautiful buck! Nice work!

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:10 pm

Very cool story and great photo sequence. Nice to see some dandy whitetails on here. Thanks for sharing and posting him up. He does look to have a great body also. (looks big in those cam photos).

Tonoonyi
3 point
3 point

Post by Tonoonyi » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:25 pm

Great story and great buck.
Congratulations.
Keep your nose in the wind and your eyes along the skyline.

gizmo1
2 point
2 point

Post by gizmo1 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:53 pm

great job
Romans 13: 1-4

dahlmer
Monster
Monster

Post by dahlmer » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:01 pm

Way to stick with it. He is a great buck.

Vanish
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Vanish » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:04 am

He looks so much like a hybrid WT/MD to me ... you think it could be?

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:43 pm

what a dandy buck!
so with 6 points on the left and 4 points on the left, wouldn't he just have 10 on the left? how many was on the right lol j/k, i knew what you were saying, just couldn't help myself;)

that is a greast buck!

Envious of the West
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Envious of the West » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:44 am

Thanks guys!! I am happy as heck with him!
Vanish wrote:He looks so much like a hybrid WT/MD to me ... you think it could be?
I don't know man, I am a long way from Muley land here in MN......but several people have said the same thing.
Thanks to all involved with this site, it is a great resource for hunting enthusiasts, both rookies and seasoned vet's!