2012 Idaho and Daughters First Buck!

Talk anything related to Whitetail or Coues Deer
Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

2012 Idaho and Daughters First Buck!

Post by Springville Shooter » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:10 pm

With everything on the table this year, I wasn't sure that we would be able to get much hunting in. All at once, my work schedule eased up right as fall break approached. There was little hesitation from my daughters when I asked if they wanted to head up to Idaho for a quick hunting trip. They started packing the truck while I headed down to Cabelas to pick up some tags. As we started up the final canyon to the area we hunt, a thick smoke filled the air and the temperature was extremely hot. I was worried that we might have a hard time finding deer, especially when I began to notice that the normal pre season traffic was almost non-existant. We arrived at our spot by mid afternoon and I hurried through the unloading process in hopes to put the spotting scope on the breaks to see some deer. I was extremely relieved when I picked out the first light brown body against the dry hillside above the river. Then another, then another. There were literally deer everywhere. My daughter even started taking pictures with her phone through the spotting scope.

Opening morning arrived and I pulled into the wide spot where we hike up the breaks. I had prepared my daughter for a tough half mile hike up to a shelf that usually holds some deer. We had barely lost sight of the truck when I spotted a group of deer a few hundred yards above us. They had us busted and the only buck in the group was very small. While I was glassing them, I noticed some movement behind them and focused my attention on a very big deer in some bruch. It didn't take long to notice the big pearly rack he was sporting and I knew right away that he was a taker. I got Courtey down and asked if she could see the buck through the scope. "You mean the big 3 point?" she asked. I told her that if she could get a good shot to put one behind his shoulder. Witihin a few seconds her shot rung out and I watched the brute hit the dirt. Right away I could see his white belly in the grass and knew he was down for good. We made the short hike up to him and my daughter collected her first buck, an awesome, thick, high Idaho whitetail with a huge body.

I have been waiting a long time for this opportunity and been through some hard times trying to help my daughter connect in years past. We could have packed up right then and gone home and I would have been happy, but it was opening day and I still had a tag. After taking care of my daughter's buck (shortest drag I have ever had) I headed further up the breaks to look for another buck. after a half mile, I spotted a couple smaller bucks, but nothing that triggered the adrenaline. Higher up I spotted a big deer just cresting a high peak headed into a timbered basin where the breaks meet the forest. Even from a distance, I knew that he was the one that I wanted. I could tell that he was very wide and had nice thick main beams. I decided to leave him alone as the chances of killing him in the thick timber were slim. I hiked back down, checked on the girls, and got a quick rest. By mid afternoon, I was headed back up the ridge and arrived a brushy shoot that came right out of the timber where the buck went in. I found a good vantage point and waited in the heat. As evening came, the deer started moving. Several does and a couple smaller bucks fed below me and soon, a group of nicer bucks came out of the timber where my buck went in. These bucks were all descent and it was hard to hold off as they fed within 100 yards of me. I had a feeling that the table was set for the big guy to make an appearance. Suddenly, I was suprised by big bear that appeared on the opposite side of the gully from where I was. I was so interested in the bear that I didn't notice the big buck that slipped out of the timber and went right past me until he was well below me. Upon spotting him there was no doubt and I quickly pulled up and anchored him with a single shot at 187 yards with the old Dakota. There was not ground shrinkage and I could not believe the events that had just taken place. My daughter and I had just killed the nicest buck that I have ever taken in nearly 20 years of hunting the area! It was well after dark when I got in and the kids were thrilled to see my buck. I was exhausted and hit the sack with the ear-to-ear smile of a happy hunter and a proud papa on my face.

Anyone with youth hunters should take advantage of the mentoring program that Idaho offers. Out of state mentored youth tags are less than $50.00 and allow hunters to take whitetail and mule deer in most of the state. While it may take a few years to really nail down a spot, there is definately some great opportunity up in the Gem State.
Attachments
The Haul
The Haul
Bucks on truck 1.jpg (22.91 KiB) Viewed 16351 times
Dad
Dad
IMG_0819.JPG (34.94 KiB) Viewed 16351 times
Court
Court
DSCN3474.JPG (44.25 KiB) Viewed 16351 times
Court
Court
DSCN3469.JPG (40.37 KiB) Viewed 16351 times
"Only accurate rifles are interesting"-----Col. Townsend Whelen

a_bow_nut

Re: 2012 Idaho and Daughters First Buck!

Post by a_bow_nut » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:27 pm

A couple of great looking deer you have there.

Congrats to the both of you.

What does Idaho want for an out of state deer tag?
Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell
the difference.

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Post by Springville Shooter » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:49 pm

The nonresident tag and license come to about $450.00, but with the youth mentoring program, you can add youth tag for around $40.00. This is a great deal especially if you have a couple of kids. You could take yourself and two kids on an out of state trip for just over $500.00 which is pretty cheap. I love hunting in Idaho and have been going there since I was 16 so I will probably always pay whatever they want. I just hope they continue the youth mentoring program as it provides a great opportunity to introduce the next generation to a variety of hunting. I think that Idaho whitetail are an absolute blast to hunt.-------------SS
"Only accurate rifles are interesting"-----Col. Townsend Whelen

gizmo1
2 point
2 point

Post by gizmo1 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:09 pm

Great job and congrats to the kiddo. Couple of great bucks.
Romans 13: 1-4

jls456
2 point
2 point

Post by jls456 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:57 pm

Good job with your daughter,and some nice bucks.

derekp1999
4 point
4 point

Post by derekp1999 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:39 am

Great story, congrats on two great bucks.
“The consequences of our actions are always so complicated, so diverse, that predicting the future is a very difficult business indeed.”
-Albus Dumbledore

waspocrew
4 point
4 point

Post by waspocrew » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:11 pm

Congrats on two fine bucks... That looks like an awesome trip!

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:04 pm

man that looks like you had a fun trip!
I keep saying "one of these days"!

great job and with your daughter to boot- that's awesome!

jls456
2 point
2 point

Post by jls456 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:33 pm

Way to go!

waynedevore

Post by waynedevore » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:47 am

Very much enjoyed the story of Your success.
Those are some dandy WT bucks.
Sounds like a perfect hunt for a Dad and Kid. :thumb
You have a right to be proud, great job by the young hunter. 10sign: