baiting deer

Talk anything related to Whitetail or Coues Deer
primal215
3 point
3 point

Re: baiting deer

Post by primal215 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:08 pm

Im not a fan of baiting but I do understand if your on a small piece of property and trying to suck the animals off another property. My friend bought one of those game feeders and set it to go off every other day, but he likes to mix it up some time so the deer and pigs dont know when its there this keeps them coming buy to check it out. My friend uses rolled corn, give it a try it works I bagged a pig buy the feeder a few hours after he bagged a 4 point buck there.

tibbshooter
Fawn
Fawn

Post by tibbshooter » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:56 am

Baiting deer is not part of the "fair chase" method. If you are complaining about how hard it is to get a deer then pick up another sport. This is "HUNTING" not killing. How hard is it to make a 20 yard shot on a deer feeding over the bait? I don't get the argument about being able to glass... Do you know how hard it is to stalk an animal with a bow. 95% of the time they are in areas where they have everything in their favor. Baiting displaces animals terribly. It takes animals off of neighboring land and sometimes puts them in areas that has no habitat that can help make the herd through the winter. I could go on and on. Hunter harder!

JLROOT
2 point
2 point

Post by JLROOT » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:10 pm

Baiting is allowed in some states. I don't think it is ethical. but here is something that i don't think anyone here has considered as an agrument against baiting deer.

Baiting attracts many deer to the same spot. If one deer with CWD comes to the bait many other deer could become infected with CWD. Deer will yard up during the winter so the chance of CWD spreading even further is increased. CWD is spreading rapidly. Lets not help its spread by baiting deer.

my 2 cents.
A 'Veteran' whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve is someone who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'

tx_packmule
Fawn
Fawn

Post by tx_packmule » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:10 pm

To answer the OP.. sweet feed, alfalfa (I will sit on public and overlook one of those all day long to see what comes down to them...fyi), basically anything that gives them energy and cures their sweet tooth.

Our problem, even with baiting, in our little area of TX is that it's a cake walk to shoot 1.5-4.5yo deer. Some internal swich flips in them at 5.5+ that makes them go mostly nocturnal. We have feeders and nice food plots in place (haven't gotten into feeding protein to huntable deer...huntable deer = deer not located in the back yard), but see the majority of our deer browsing on forbs growing in the hay fields after the last cuttings.