Otter Creek or Scofield

Talk anything related to 'all kinds' of fishing.
Sponsored by: http://www.troutjournal.com
hound_hunter
Monster
Monster

Otter Creek or Scofield

Post by hound_hunter » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:59 am

I'm thinking about heading to either Otter Creek or Scofield tomorrow morning to try my luck, any recent reports? Or anyone fished it this time of year ever? I've only done summer fishing at these places, so this will be new for me. No boat, so I'll be on shore (might bring a float tube, not sure if I'll use it)

I'll post a report when I get back either way, thanks!

spoofman
Spike
Spike

Re: Otter Creek or Scofield

Post by spoofman » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:19 am

Was at Otter Creek last weekend and caught over 40 fish in three days. Some up around 20 inches...most were 16-18 inches and healthy. Used the fly rod from shore.

hound_hunter
Monster
Monster

Post by hound_hunter » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:08 am

Unfortunately I missed the aggressive ice off action at Otter Creek, not too surprising as its been a few weeks, but didn't do too hot. Between 4 of us, 5 rainbows were caught. Fish were caught on both power bait (differet colors) & worm/mellow. 4 of the fish were dinks, still growing up (which I'm sure will happen fast down there), and the only fish I have a picture of is the only one we kept, about a 16 incher we kept for dinner. The one was still a beauty of a fish, and they were all fun to catch/see, but not the big ones I was hoping to connect with down there. I know there are plenty in there and I'll hit it again in early summer. Overall it was still an awesome trip! I really wanted to hook into a fatty rainbow with my fly rod, but I didn't get a hit (throwing all different types of streamers).

F&G cop checked our licenses, says everyone else is about the same. Most have 1, maybe 2 fish. Some have 3. No one with a limit yet and that was around noon. Then before we took off we walked up to the group at the power lines. A couple of them had a fish or two on stringer, most didn't, none of those had the size that I'm used to at Otter Creek either. It's nice to know it wasn't just us, haha.

We did stay at our cabin though one night, which was worth the whole trip! As I tried to fly fish before dark at the tiny bit of open water at Fish Lake, a snow storm came in and it was just way too windy for my 4 weight. Probably would have slayed them if I could have gotten a break from the wind. woke up the next morning to a beautiful lightly snow covered sunrise though. I love this state!

spoofman
Spike
Spike

Post by spoofman » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:42 pm

Sorry to hear it has slowed. I didnt do any good on the streamers or wooly buggers.....once i changed to copper johns and weightd princes did great. My wife caught 11 in about 2 hours before we headed home. Better luck next time.

hound_hunter
Monster
Monster

Post by hound_hunter » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:34 pm

Hey cool to hear, thanks for the tips Spoofman. And no worries, I still loved trying! I'm new to fly fishing so it was good practice for me even if I didn't hook up.

The lunkers are in there! I'll get 'em this summer and fall http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsfishi ... k.html.csp

spoofman
Spike
Spike

Post by spoofman » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:41 pm

I am heading back down next weekend 26-27th I will let you know how we do. They likely will not be on the spawn beds as heavily but we should still catch a few.