Best Antelope tag in Colorado?

Talk anything related to Antelope
Meathunter13
2 point
2 point

Best Antelope tag in Colorado?

Post by Meathunter13 » Fri May 18, 2007 12:43 pm

So whats the best antelope tag in the state of Colorado in your minds? I'll have 8 points this year since I just drew another point. What Unit should I try for or should I wait 1 more year until I have 9 points?

Hiker

Post by Hiker » Sat May 19, 2007 9:38 am

Meathunter13, for public land hunting 2,3,4 & 301 all have some great bucks on them. I have a few more units in mind. Are you going to archery hunt, MZ or Rifle hunt them?
Hiker

Proverbs 3:5-6

TheGreatwhitehunter

Post by TheGreatwhitehunter » Sun May 20, 2007 8:37 pm

Unit 3 is one of the best in the state 12 points 8 points will get you in in unit 4 though and they have some great goats send me an email if you need more info
THE LORD IS MY ROCK

StickFlicker
3 point
3 point

Post by StickFlicker » Sun May 20, 2007 9:03 pm

I big of a buck can one expect to find in these areas?
Official Pope & Young, Boone & Crockett & Longhunter Society Measurer,
Records Chairman, Bowhunting In Arizona Record Book

Hiker

Post by Hiker » Mon May 21, 2007 7:10 am

StickFlicker, From what I've seen over the years, B&C bucks would be few and far between. We have very few eyepopping pronghorns in Colorado. IMO If you see a 15" buck with some mass, you'd better not pass em.
Hiker

StickFlicker
3 point
3 point

Post by StickFlicker » Mon May 21, 2007 8:11 am

Thanks for the info. I was driving through Colorado on the way to Wyoming several years ago and saw a huge buck just before entering Wyoming. It was by far the largest one I ever saw in Colorado!
Official Pope & Young, Boone & Crockett & Longhunter Society Measurer,
Records Chairman, Bowhunting In Arizona Record Book

Meathunter13
2 point
2 point

Post by Meathunter13 » Mon May 21, 2007 4:38 pm

Hey all thanks so much for the information. I will definately start looking into the units mentioned. Id like to honestly just be in the best unit I can be... So I am guessing that if it takes 12 points for rifle it probably will take less for Muzzey or Archery. Id rather hunt Archery if it gets me into a better unit. The only reason I held out again this year was due to the harsh winter here. I know Im looking into this a year early, but in my mind this is how its done.

Stickflicker- Id be happy with one just a bit smaller than yours....

LOL J/k of course.

I havent taken one with archery before so I probably wont be extremely picky. Im not sure I want to endure the 100'F days in a blind though.

TheGreatwhitehunter

Post by TheGreatwhitehunter » Tue May 22, 2007 11:34 pm

Meat Hunter unit 11 is also a really good unit to hunt antelope if you have the points I saw the biggest goat I have ever seen he was an easy B/C this was in unit 120 last year and this is a unit it only takes 1 point to draw the catch it is all private land man that thing still haunts my dreams.

So with Pronghorn hunting in Colorado other than the top 3 units in the state I would look into hunting the eastern plains getting access is the tough part but a lot of good goats come from out there. There are some outfitters leasing it up. But because it is almost ALL PRIVATE there are some bruisers to be had.

Just remember you can not really compare antelope in Colorado to Antelope in Nevada or Arizona there jsut bigger but a goat that make the books is just that a good one.

Here is a antelope I took in unit 4 rifle

THE LORD IS MY ROCK

Hiker

Post by Hiker » Wed May 23, 2007 11:57 am

TGWH, That is a neat looking buck. I love that heart shaped horns. Did you ever score it?
Hiker

Meathunter13
2 point
2 point

Post by Meathunter13 » Wed May 23, 2007 12:19 pm

I was just playing about the a little smaller than stickflicker's. I know the odds of seeing one that would even make B&C are slim. I still need to decide if I can get into a better unit with a muzzey rather than a rifle or if I have to go to archery to get a break on PP's. Im still really undecided if the sitting in the blind on a hot day is for me or not. Maybe take my camera and a sketch pad and Id be fine. I will definately start looking into some of the eastern units as well. Very nice goat TGWH you seem to do very well.