WY leftover antelope

Talk anything related to Antelope
backpacker
Fawn
Fawn

WY leftover antelope

Post by backpacker » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:58 am

Posted this on another website also- though I might try here too. I was just wondering if anybody might be able to recommend a leftover unit where a 14" goat would be a possibility or where they've had a good experience. My dad and I didn't draw this year and I really wanted to take him 'lope hunting. I know most of the l/o units are private so we'd be looking for places with a moderate tresspass fee (not guided), doesn't really matter what part of WY but from what I've found in the archives the eastern part probably has the most tags. Thanks for any info!

Snake River Marksman
3 point
3 point

Re: WY leftover antelope

Post by Snake River Marksman » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:27 pm

I applied for lefto overs in 31, 25, 26. I've hunted in 31 and killed goats twice. Small bucks that I never measured. It has both state land, private land open to hunting without asking, and BLM land. 25 has a good amount of BLM land, but I haven't hunted it before. 26 contains land from the Thunder Basin National Grassland. All of these areas are centered on Casper. It SHOULD be fairly easy to kill a goat on either of these areas without paying a tresspass fee.
2006 goat.
Stupidity is expensive

TheGreatwhitehunter

Post by TheGreatwhitehunter » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:11 am

back packer ::wel to the MADNESS when you get a minute tell us about yourself.
THE LORD IS MY ROCK

TheGreatwhitehunter

Post by TheGreatwhitehunter » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:14 am

Snake River Marksman congrats on the goat looks like you found the only shade tree in Wyoming :))
THE LORD IS MY ROCK

Snake River Marksman
3 point
3 point

Post by Snake River Marksman » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:13 pm

I really like that tree. I just wish it was up on top of that plateau, where the antelope are, as opposed to down in the bottom of that wash. If it were on top, I could just sit in the shade and wait for those goats to duck under that fence onto huntable property. With any luck, I'll get my picture taken under that tree with a goat this year as well.
Stupidity is expensive

backpacker
Fawn
Fawn

Post by backpacker » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:09 pm

Not too much to tell- grew up in WI watching the Packers, hunting whiteys, fishing for the mighty muskie and elusive walleye. Joined the Air Force (F16 engine mechanic), moved to Hill AFB in early '06 and been here since. First western game animal was a moose last year, hoping to get an elk in NM and muley over here this year! :)

TheGreatwhitehunter

Post by TheGreatwhitehunter » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:04 am

A MOOSE for your FIRST animal in the WEST do tell Please!!!!

I love Musky fishing I really do miss it, but plenty of walleye opportunity out here fills the void oh and those WT's dont get me started I love hunting those whitetails.

I can can help you out with a left over unit now that you took the time to tell us about yourself :)) JK

I sent you a PM with some info to contact me.
THE LORD IS MY ROCK

backpacker
Fawn
Fawn

Post by backpacker » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:16 am

Here's a link to the moose (even though it's on the other mm site). I'm the one in the top pic.

http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/D ... /3055.html