Best speed goat round

Talk anything related to Antelope
HighLander
Monster
Monster

Re: Best speed goat round

Post by HighLander » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:05 pm

I wouls say you cannot go wrong with a 25.06 or .270..both great. I however did shoot both mine this past year with a .338WM and I know it is a bit overkill but I am so comfronatble with the gun and I know wjere the bullet is going. Plus there was no tracking involoved.
ALWAYS CHECK YOUR ARROWS BEFORE SHOOTING.......TRUST ME!!

TheGreatwhitehunter

Post by TheGreatwhitehunter » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:13 am

I however did shoot both mine this past year with a .338WM and I know it is a bit overkill
HOLY CRAP!! WERE THESE ANTELOPE ARMORED PLATED? lol

Using a big mag and being a good shot with it, is better than using a light caliber and not being able to be consistent.
THE LORD IS MY ROCK

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Post by Springville Shooter » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:27 am

I have noticed that often times, heavy cartridges do much less damage than lighter ones on game. I think that this has to so with the combination of heavier constructed bullets and modest muzzle velocities. I shot several balcktails with my 338RUM when I was getting into the long range world. Suprisingly enough I lost very little meat on these 120-140 lb animals. I was using 225 Nosler Accubond bullets and ended up with silver dollar sized exit wounds when I hit bone, and quarter sized when I shot through the ribs. This was actually less damage than I was used to seeing with my 25-06 before I started shooting better bullets. My thoughts on the issue are; there is really no such thing as too big, but there definately is such thing as too small. I have never understood the desire of people to insist on using varmint cartridges on big game. Yes, I know that countless animals have been killed this way, I have done it myself, and I have learned that big game should be taken with big game cartridges. The little coastal blacktail taken in this picture has a 338RUM exit wound on the shoulder you can see in the pic. Very little damage, dead deer, perfect! ------shooter
Attachments
P1010005.JPG
"Only accurate rifles are interesting"-----Col. Townsend Whelen

TheGreatwhitehunter

Post by TheGreatwhitehunter » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:21 pm

I have noticed that often times, heavy cartridges do much less damage than lighter ones on game. I think that this has to so with the combination of heavier constructed bullets and modest muzzle velocities.
+1
THE LORD IS MY ROCK

waynedevore

Post by waynedevore » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:24 am

I think most high speed bullets hitting bone will make a mess. I still say the area just behind the shoulder is best. Bullet passes through doing great damage in the boiler room. :thumb

JLROOT
2 point
2 point

Post by JLROOT » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:27 am

waynedevore wrote:I think most high speed bullets hitting bone will make a mess. I still say the area just behind the shoulder is best. Bullet passes through doing great damage in the boiler room. :thumb
+1
A 'Veteran' whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve is someone who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'

StickFlicker
3 point
3 point

Post by StickFlicker » Thu May 27, 2010 10:44 pm

What, they let you shoot those things with guns?!?! ](*,) I'm a fan of Easton 2213's for antelope!

Marvin
Official Pope & Young, Boone & Crockett & Longhunter Society Measurer,
Records Chairman, Bowhunting In Arizona Record Book

huntfishnv
2 point
2 point

Post by huntfishnv » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:56 pm

7mm, 270, 25-06 all great in my opinion.
The Buck Stops Here