Got my buck

Talk anything related to Antelope
Jeff
2 point
2 point

Got my buck

Post by Jeff » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:15 pm

I closed the deal this morning. A 35 yd shot and 50 yds later it was picture time. I had this buck at 29 yds on the opener but he was facing me and didn't present a good shot, so I let him walk. We scored him at 74 2/8. He's 13" tall but has some good mass 7 inch bases and 5 7/8" cutters.
Attachments
DSCN0496 (Large).JPG
DSCN0495 (Large).JPG
Last edited by Jeff on Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Re: Got my buck

Post by Springville Shooter » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:22 pm

Great looking buck, now you just have to wait the drying period and take your place in the Pope and Young records! Congratulations my friend on a great pronghorn with a bow.---------SS
"Only accurate rifles are interesting"-----Col. Townsend Whelen

a_bow_nut

Post by a_bow_nut » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:38 pm

That's a good looking buck. =D>
Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell
the difference.

brokenarrow
Fawn
Fawn

Post by brokenarrow » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:33 am

sweet looking goat, congrats!!!!! :thumb

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:07 am

Cool buck, nice cutters and mass. Glad it worked out for you. :thumb

Snake River Marksman
3 point
3 point

Post by Snake River Marksman » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:36 am

Nice Job!!
I can't even imagine taking antelope with a bow.
Stupidity is expensive

WinMag
3 point
3 point

Post by WinMag » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:40 am

Nice buck! How did you get him? Blind, spot and stalk?

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Post by Springville Shooter » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:25 pm

Blind, spot and stalk?

I guess if the buck was blind, it would be easier to pull off a spot and stalk!! lol . Just kidding, I've been in the field with Jeff, he walks ALOT and is pretty sneekee. That buck looks oddly familiar and I might have even seen it before.------------SS
"Only accurate rifles are interesting"-----Col. Townsend Whelen

Jeff
2 point
2 point

Post by Jeff » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:41 pm

I wish I had a story of a great spot and stalk. As far as the buck being blind, he very well could have been. I had taken my wife and daughter with me for the weekend because my daughter, who is 5, was dying to go camping. My plans were to go hunting while they stayed in camp and did whatever it is females do in camp while the men are hunting. Well we woke up on Saturday morning and all I heard was "its cold, I want to go home" and then my daughter started in as well, I guess her idea of camping was a little different than the real thing. So I cooked some breakfast and broke camp and told my wife I wanted to check out an area where I had seen some bucks on the opener. Once we got into that area I made her drive so I could watch for some animals, as soon as she started driving I seen a doe running around in circles, then I spotted the buck, he was running her pretty good. I told the wife "drive down the road and turn around, when we get back by the buck I'll hop out and try to get close enough for a shot" So we got there and I hoped out and got some sage brush in between us and kind of did a crouch walk for 10 yds to close the gap. As soon as I stood up the buck was watching me, I guessed 35 yds, held my 30 yd pin a little high and released the arrow, the rest is history. My wife had driven up the road a little ways and was watching the whole thing unfold, she was a little shook up at how fast this all happened, it all seemed like slow motion to me. After I let the buck lie for a while I got my daughter out of the truck and started "tracking" him, (I could see him from the truck) I told Afton follow the blood and keep looking ahead, in case he's standing there watching, well a few minutes later she yells "there he is" "I found him" she was quite proud of her tracking skills. It was great having them with me and a lot of fun teaching her to track.

Tyewire
2 point
2 point

Post by Tyewire » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:00 pm

Congrads Jeff!!

That is a great story to me. 10sign: Anytime you can include the family the better. Thank you again for your help with my Book Cliff hunt.

-John
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13