Wyoming antelope area 23

Talk anything related to Antelope
solohunter
Fawn
Fawn

Wyoming antelope area 23

Post by solohunter » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:01 am

I drew a tag for area 23 this year as a third choice,, never been to that area,,I have the WYO hunting gps map chip showing open areas, I see three large BLM areas, 1- north of beaver creek with easy access, I suspect ths is hunted hard,, 2-the middle area below beaver creek that is road land locked unless you want to hike 4-5 miles, and 3- a southern area with some access, I have been told its pretty mixed for mule deer and goats in the areas, does anyone care to give up some advice or insite on goat hunting areas within the units, I plan on tenting in or near the area I will be hunting to cut down on driving. also any ranchers who allow goat doe only hunting as I plan on picking up extra tags in two weeks,,

PLP
Spike
Spike

Re: Wyoming antelope area 23

Post by PLP » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:00 pm

I know a guy that hunts there,he said this area always gets alot of pressure.It has more tags than almost any area for the state and alot of guys use it for a back-up.If you go a day or two early and find goats you need to camp close,and be waiting at your spot before daylight..Strike quick.If you get messed up the best thing to do is check the small pieces that are scattered in the unit.Side note:State land that has crops on it must have a written permmision slip from the leasee in order for you to hunt it!..What would be best is if you contact WGF regional office in sheridan and get a list of landowners or see if they know someone who will let you come take a doe or two,or hunt for a small trespass fee.Good luck and let me know how you do!

Sheridan Regional Office
700 Valley View Drive
Sheridan, WY 82801
(307) 672-7418

solohunter
Fawn
Fawn

Post by solohunter » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:51 pm

i mow have the list of landowners, I will be in the hunt area on sat afternoon, and the plan was to scout for goats and be on site at daybreak monday, not sure what areas are better for goats but hopefully I can scout some up on sunday :)

waspocrew
4 point
4 point

Post by waspocrew » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:21 pm

Good luck to you! Sounds like you've got some great resources to use now!

AT Hiker
Fawn
Fawn

Post by AT Hiker » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:14 pm

I was torn between areas 15 an 16, but after talking with someone on another site (who has been great help!) I am n ow leaning toward 23 myself. Assuming tags are still around when I decide.

The area north of Beaver Creek seems rather large, but the terrain appears to be a little rough, so I am not sure how well the goat herd is there.

Did you find a access for the BLM south of Beaver Creek? I cannot seem to find a location, you mentioned hiking 4-5 miles. If you are willing to share that location that would be great.

If I go I will be out on a solo trip Oct 5-14, so I will have plenty of time. If I tag out early I am headed to the Big Horns to backpack, so if you need help you can PM and I can give you my contact info.