Wy unit 21 antelope

Talk anything related to Antelope
muzzhunter
Spike
Spike

Wy unit 21 antelope

Post by muzzhunter » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:05 am

Well me and my brother in law put this unit in as our last choice just to be able to go hunting and we drew it. Now we are trying to do some research on areas to go and camping areas and so on. So if anyone who has been there has any advise feel free to help us out. Any advise would help as we have never been to this particular unit. I'd be glad to share info with other units I am more familiar with.
Thanks,
Dave

TexasHunter83
2 point
2 point

Re: Wy unit 21 antelope

Post by TexasHunter83 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:31 pm

muzzhunter wrote:Well me and my brother in law put this unit in as our last choice just to be able to go hunting and we drew it. Now we are trying to do some research on areas to go and camping areas and so on. So if anyone who has been there has any advise feel free to help us out. Any advise would help as we have never been to this particular unit. I'd be glad to share info with other units I am more familiar with.
Thanks,
Dave
Was there in 2012. Killed 3 Antelope bucks with the biggest being about an 11 1/2" buck. We weren't being picky at all so I imagine it's certainly possible to get bigger bucks if you do some actual scouting and hunting. We hunted at the far southern boundary of the unit. There's quite a bit of BLM land around that area and it's all easy access. There are a few small portions of private land that we crossed through (while on a county dirt road) to get to where we were. There was a family friend that had been there couple years before us (2010) and claims there were WAY MORE antelope then there was in 2012 when we went; of course we had no problem finding antelope while we were there. I wouldn't say that there's entirely too much pressure there, but you will see other hunters. The good thing is that, in the southern part of the unit, there are NO TREES in most areas and seeing an orange cap from a long distance is pretty easy. We ended up having an entire small valley and ridge-line to ourselves for most of the week. I would suggest finding a ridge where antelope are crossing from one valley to the next and sit in some sage brush; worked wonders for us. We found a spot like this and killed all 3 bucks in the same spot. We shot 2 within about 20 minutes of one another, and the last one was killed in the same spot 2 days later. Let me know if you want some more info. Good Luck. (PS, there are usually quite a few left-over tags for this unit. If you've got the money for another buck tag they usually have a 100+ leftovers-- which is how we got out tags to begin with--. I went ahead and bought a white-tail doe left-over just in case I came across one-- I didn't. lol I think the white-tail were further north in unit 21.)

muzzhunter
Spike
Spike

Post by muzzhunter » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:10 pm

Can I buy a second buck tag from the leftovers?

TexasHunter83
2 point
2 point

Post by TexasHunter83 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:19 pm

muzzhunter wrote:Can I buy a second buck tag from the leftovers?
From what I understand, left-overs are fair game for whoever gets them first. You might call the Wyoming Game and Fish to double check, but I'm pretty sure you can buy a left-over buck tag even if you've already drawn one. In 2012 there were around 180 left-over buck tags for Unit 21. I think, this year, the left-overs go on sale July 10th at 8:00AM.

muzzhunter
Spike
Spike

Post by muzzhunter » Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:44 pm

Great, I'll look into it. Thanks for the input. I'll let ya know how it goes.