Alberta Decoyed Antelope

Talk anything related to Antelope
bowcrazy
Spike
Spike

Alberta Decoyed Antelope

Post by bowcrazy » Sun Dec 12, 2004 1:39 pm

This is my first posting on this site.

Just wanted to share my successful archery antelope hunt in September of 2004 in Alberta. On the third day of the hunt we were successful with decoying this bad boy. It took 4.5 hours to get close enough to decoy this monster. Once we set the decoy up a spike buck came in immediately from nowhere and challenged the decoy. Once the big boy saw the spike and the decoy(a spike buck also) he came up within 30 yards to challenge the spike and the decoy. A perfect shot and he fell within 7 yards of the shot. My first Pope and Young animal.

The official P & Y score is 77 4/8. The outfitters tell me this buck should be in the all time top 15 taken by archery in Alberta. Possibly the largest taken by decoy. Decoying is not used much in Alberta...I had to twist my guides arm to use a decoy. The outfitters prefer to put you in a blind on a water hole. I can't say enough about using a decoy..it is a real adrenaline boost when that goat comes running at you from a 100 yards.

I have taken 2 other antelope by archery(spot and stalk) when I lived in Nebraska nothing close to this antelope. I also had a 60 yard shot at a real monster 81" plus... due to wind and my heart pounding I shot high and he escaped. The outfitters tell me the buck was harvested by a rifle hunter this year and grossed 81 7/8"

Next fall will be a Muley hunt.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2134231340

BOHNTR

Post by BOHNTR » Sun Dec 12, 2004 2:35 pm

bowcrazy:

Welcome to MuleyMadness. Nice way to begin your introduction with a nice arrowed antelope! =D> Congratulations on a fine animal and thanks for posting it up for all of us to see.
BOHNTR )))-------------->

Bowhunting Editor-Western Hunter Magazine
Pope & Young Measurer
Boone & Crockett Measurer

shedhunter
Spike
Spike

DITO!

Post by shedhunter » Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:56 pm

Same as above!
Great goat and nice to have another new face to the board!
Bowhunting is the only way to go.........if your up to the challenge!
CONGRATS!!
~shedhunter~