Taxidermy Options

Talk anything related to Antelope
tommycaller
Spike
Spike

Re: Taxidermy Options

Post by tommycaller » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:08 am

Antelope are cool either way. The smelly bases they are talking about may be in regards to the skull plate. You have to remove the horn sheath from the antelope and clean all of the flesh out from underneath or it will smell to high heavens. There is quite a bit of flesh under there. Here is a wall pedestal mount of a New Mexico Antelope I shot near Roy, NM a couple years back. I think the coloration of an antelope is awesome and I love the look of a good buck on the wall....that's just me, I can't help it.
Attachments
nm antelope.jpg
"A waist is a terrible thing to mind"

TheGreatwhitehunter

Post by TheGreatwhitehunter » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:08 pm

tommycaller that is a good looking speed goat
THE LORD IS MY ROCK

tommycaller
Spike
Spike

Post by tommycaller » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:09 pm

Thanks GW! I'm going back to Roy, NM in a couple weeks. I think the antelope season is the 23,24,25th of August. I have a rifle tag and a few antelope bullets. Yee Haw :thumb

StickFlicker
3 point
3 point

Post by StickFlicker » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:23 pm

I had my first nice antelope mounted because I figured I would never get a bigger one. That was my thinking on the second one as well, then the third.... At least they aren't huge space eaters like elk mounts, and I guy can have a few without looking too crowded. I too like the wall pedestal, and yours is VERY nice. Back in 1995, when I had the buck in my signature mounted, I had never seen or heard of a wall pedestal. I came up with the idea and asked my taxidermist if he could create one for me. Not too long after that, they started appearing everywhere. Not sure if I invented the idea or not, but I think this buck was one of the first to ever be mounted that way.

Marvin
Official Pope & Young, Boone & Crockett & Longhunter Society Measurer,
Records Chairman, Bowhunting In Arizona Record Book

tommycaller
Spike
Spike

Post by tommycaller » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:34 pm

That looks like a dandy!!! I would like to see a bigger picture of your buck. It's kinda funny. I had alot of oppertunities to hunt antelope in the past 20 or so and passed. I killed my first one about 4 years ago and wish I would have started sooner. They are a blast to hunt and I apply in six states each year. My luck has not been very good on drawing. I bought a landowner tag this year and will be hunting the ranch next to the one I killed the mounted buck on. I saw 40 to 50 bucks each day down there and a few were really good ones. The biggest ones are usually spotted after you have pulled the trigger. I will be much more patient this time around.