Bullets For Antelope

Talk anything related to Antelope
Jon B
Fawn
Fawn

Bullets For Antelope

Post by Jon B » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:45 pm

Hey guys , I am a new member and I am leaving for my goat hunt tomorrow. What do you guys think of the 125 grain Nosler Ballistic tip for antelope? I loaded it for my dad in 30/06 @ 3250 fps .I have used this bullet in my .308 and have shot several hogs with it I always get a quick kill but no exit wound. I feel that this bullet would be ideal for goats do any of you have expierience with this bullet/ cartridge combo.
Wishin I was Backpackin

Snake River Marksman
3 point
3 point

Re: Bullets For Antelope

Post by Snake River Marksman » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:43 pm

At that speed it will likely make a heck of a mess if it hits anything really solid. Broadside shots through the ribs not the shoulders. That bullet would have been a lot happier at 27 to 2900fps.
Stupidity is expensive

NONYA
Monster
Monster

Post by NONYA » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:58 pm

Its going to explode on impact.You arnt getting exit wounds because those bullets are grenades at any speed over 2800 fps and you are getting no penetration.Only the HEAVIEST bullet in each caliber of those POS bullets is suggested as a hunting bullet,anything lighter is just a frangible waiting to screw up a hunt for you. :>/ Switch to a Barnes TSX or tippe TSX and you will NEVER have to worry about penetration and performance at any speed.

Snake River Marksman
3 point
3 point

Post by Snake River Marksman » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:37 am

Nonya,
The Nosler reloading manual states that the 125 ballistic tip was designed for HUNTING. But you are correct, that it doesn't react well to those speeds.
Stupidity is expensive

NONYA
Monster
Monster

Post by NONYA » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:59 am

Call nosler,I did,AFTER a few of their HUNTING bullets exploded on me at 2950 FPS out of my 7 mag.....
This is what it will do,explode on impact and get very little penetration...
160 gr Nosler at 2950 pfs,110 yards
I sent this to the Nosler rep I talked to and he told me that it was my fault for not using a heavy enough bullet,that only the heaviest bullet in each caliber is a hunting bullet in the ballistic tip,combined tech and accubond line.He did tell me there MAY be a hiccup in their bonding process and offered to send me more of their junk for free,no thanx!Try to slide the bullet in between 2 ribs,if you hit anything solid you arnt going to get a pass through,just like your hogs.

Snake River Marksman
3 point
3 point

Post by Snake River Marksman » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:40 pm

You can't argue with results like that can you!!! What a mess.
Stupidity is expensive

Jon B
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Jon B » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:27 pm

Hey Snake River thanks for presenting such a good case. I have killed several hogs with that bullet and have scrambled their internals. Of course that is with .308 and the upset is not quite so violent. One good thing is the massive energy transfer, typically knocks little pigs (<150#) down. I just returned from my hunt , I didn't have to worry about the bullet performance because my dad could not hit the broad side of a barn. He finally took a 12 incher at about 175 yrds and I was glad to see him done. He is probably the reason you guys say that non-residents can't shoot. ](*,)
Wishin I was Backpackin

Jon B
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Jon B » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:30 pm

I am sorry. That message previous message was for Nonya as well. Thanks for your expertise. How close is Etna to Baggs ?
Wishin I was Backpackin

wingmaster36
2 point
2 point

Post by wingmaster36 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:12 am

NONYA wrote:Call nosler,I did,AFTER a few of their HUNTING bullets exploded on me at 2950 FPS out of my 7 mag.....
This is what it will do,explode on impact and get very little penetration...
160 gr Nosler at 2950 pfs,110 yards
I sent this to the Nosler rep I talked to and he told me that it was my fault for not using a heavy enough bullet,that only the heaviest bullet in each caliber is a hunting bullet in the ballistic tip,combined tech and accubond line.He did tell me there MAY be a hiccup in their bonding process and offered to send me more of their junk for free,no thanx!Try to slide the bullet in between 2 ribs,if you hit anything solid you arnt going to get a pass through,just like your hogs.
WOOOOOW!!!!! What a mess. I have sworn off of NBT's for hunting big game after seeing a few grenade on deer out of a 25-06 several years back. I have some Federal Vital Shok 7mm mag 150 grain NBT's I was going to use on antelope this year because I thought that the smaller bodied antelopes would not pose the penetration problem that a 200 lb deer would. Now I'm not so sure?
"The things that are over my head are under God's feet." Adrian Rogers

David W
Fawn
Fawn

Post by David W » Mon May 04, 2009 7:13 pm

I personally would not use that particular bullet. It will open up too fast and ruin a lot of meat. I shoot a 30-06 too, and I use nothing else in it but 165 grain Nosler Partitions or Nosler Accubonds. In my Ruger #1B with it's 26" barrel, my load chronographs at 2940 fps. If you want something a touch faster, go with either of those bullet choices in 150 grain weights. You should be able to get safe loads that will push those to close to 3000 fps or a touch more. Even factory loads with those bullets can be found if you don't reload. Both are excellent.

Good luck.