Kansas Antelope

Talk anything related to Antelope
southwind
Monster
Monster

Kansas Antelope

Post by southwind » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:48 pm

After a nine year wait I finally drew a Kansas Antelope tag and as luck would have it this was probably the worst year for me as far as timing.

With gas prices so high, a five hour drive to hunt, and just plain lack of time I could not get out and do any scouting or gain any prior permission to hunt. So, I left home to hunt with zero expectations other than to enjoy a few days tromping around in the sticks. (which actually is enough for me)

Kansas has a herd of about 2000 animals that are spread out over approximately twelve counties on the western edge of the state. Kansas is also about 96% privately owned but with a walk in hunt program and most farmers disdain for antelope it is not hard to get permission. What is hard is trying to scout, get permission and then get an animal in the span of a four day season.

On the 2nd evening of the hunt I found a small herd with a decent buck that was busy chasing off two smaller rivals from his six does. I found out who owned the land and gained permission to hunt. I got to the spot the next morning and it was easy to find the herd because they were hanging out in the middle of a green wheat field. The terrain in this part of the country varies from canyon and bluff country to pretty darn flat and these goats were at pretty darn flat.

I dropped to my belly and started a long crawl to get close enough for a shot. There was actually enough elevation that while on my belly I could just make out from about the neck up for a couple hundred yards.
The other problem was the wind with 40-50 mph winds that were blowing in a front that was to dump a lot of moisture. I knew I had to get my business done because on these roads moisture means no travel.

I finally got to a spot I had a good look and like the day before the herd buck was chasing rivals off. I took a laser reading of about 225 yards and just waited for a good shot. Finally as the buck walked back to his does he gave me a decent but slightly quartering to me shot and I pulled one off putting him on the ground.

As the rest of the herd ran off I was thinking how happy I had just made one of those other bucks. I walked up on the buck and noticed my shot had hit about 8 inches right of my hold and I felt like an idiot and lucky at the same time. I have shot all my life including a lot of cross course high power and know when windage needs to be applied. Somehow, and don't ask me why I did not account for any windage in a 40-50 mph crosswind????? I should not even admit it.

Anyway, he is not the king of the prairie but a good example of a western Kansas antelope and it made me happy to be there and have the opportunity to hunt and enjoy the experience.

I did see one outstanding buck that would have made 80" at least. It was on one of the few ranches that does not allow hunting and as hard as I tried I could not get permission. ( Why he was so big)

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Re: Kansas Antelope

Post by AGCHAWK » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:12 pm

VERY NICE! CONGRATS!

That's one animal I have yet to hunt. The more I see the posts here the more tempted I am to give it a shot.

MULEY7MM
4 point
4 point

Post by MULEY7MM » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:14 pm

Im glad it all worked out for you nice buck 10sign:
Glad to be back...

http://www.troutjournal.com

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:42 am

One fine looking animal right there. CONGRATS!!

Snake River Marksman
3 point
3 point

Post by Snake River Marksman » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:10 am

Nice antelope. Taken on a tough hunt that is the true measure of a trophy for me
Stupidity is expensive

StickFlicker
3 point
3 point

Post by StickFlicker » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:31 pm

I would have shot him too, if I found him trying to stick his muzzle in my cooler and get my beers!! Nice job!
Official Pope & Young, Boone & Crockett & Longhunter Society Measurer,
Records Chairman, Bowhunting In Arizona Record Book

waynedevore

Post by waynedevore » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:56 pm

Sounds like a great time, congrats! :thumb

Hiker

Post by Hiker » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:59 am

Good job on your goat southwind. :thumb =D>
Hiker

Proverbs 3:5-6

TheGreatwhitehunter

Post by TheGreatwhitehunter » Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:01 pm

Congrats on a rare Kansas Pronghorn
THE LORD IS MY ROCK

tommycaller
Spike
Spike

Post by tommycaller » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:59 pm

A very fine looking buck! Congratulations! I hunted in unit 17 last year and saw a few antelope. I guess a non resident can hunt them over the counter with archery equipment only. I am looking for a place to go someday.
"A waist is a terrible thing to mind"