1st time archery DIYer need any advice I can get

Talk anything related to Antelope
mconway951
Fawn
Fawn

1st time archery DIYer need any advice I can get

Post by mconway951 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:53 am

hey guys I am new to this site but have been on a few others I liked this one for the fact that it seems to have alot of every species not just whitetails.
Anyway I am planning a antelope hunt to the Little Missouri national grasslands this fall coming up in North Dakota for the simple fact that the archery goat season and deer season are on the same day and early enough I could catch a deer in velvet.
Now I have never hunted antelope bfore and this will be all DIY public ground so any advice would be greatly appreciated. I will be doing the typical ground blind on a waer hole but also want to stalk a bit to. I have thought a bout a decoy but with the season starting in end of august I have been told that they don't work real well till the rut so I was thinking of making my own buffalo decoy since there are bison running around in that area but no cattle.
Just wondering if any one has hunted in the area before or made there own decoy or just have any advice to offer a newbie at all.

Thanks guys.

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 1st time archery DIYer need any advice I can get

Post by MuleyMadness » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:10 pm

Don't have any information on your area, but wanted to ::wel you to MuleyMadness.

I'd say the blind by the water hole is your best be, stalks can work but Antelope can be tough to get in close with a bow.

chet
Monster
Monster

Post by chet » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:55 pm

my best advice....... take a gun!

good luck!

StickFlicker
3 point
3 point

Post by StickFlicker » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:30 am

I have had some success with antelope decoys early in the season, but they are not normally coming to them because of the rut, but as a confidence decoy when pushed by other hunters. This obviously works best when there are a lot of hunters moving the antelope around. I think your buffalo idea has merit as well. We experimented with a similar idea this year, with borderline results. My hunting partner did shoot one using this technique, but it was a pretty long shot. I could never close the distance to a reasonable shot distance, but there seemed to be potential. Good luck!
Official Pope & Young, Boone & Crockett & Longhunter Society Measurer,
Records Chairman, Bowhunting In Arizona Record Book

waynedevore

Post by waynedevore » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:10 am

That is some nice country, the national grasslands and Little Missouri Country. Lots of coulees and good stalking. I'm interested in the info you have on buffalo running wild? The Teddy Roosevelt National Park has high fence buffalo and a couple private high fence herds. It would be a nice idea IMO to have them roaming free in the grassland, not yet however.