Cattle on the Parker/Plateau and Decoying

Talk anything related to Antelope
utahpredator_7
Spike
Spike

Cattle on the Parker/Plateau and Decoying

Post by utahpredator_7 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:22 pm

Are there cattle on the Parker/Plateau unit in Utah? I'll have an archery tag for that hunt this year and I'd like to try one of those cow decoys (or maybe antelope decoys) to spot and stalk.
We should let druggies overdose, gays get married, and in a couple generations there would be no more democrats!

hound_hunter
Monster
Monster

Re: Cattle on the Parker/Plateau and Decoying

Post by hound_hunter » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:06 pm

Not sure but if you see any Turkeys if you do some scouting or anything let me know:)

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:20 pm

Yea I believe there is cattle there, it may work. But haven't tried it myself.

hound_hunter
Monster
Monster

Post by hound_hunter » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:36 pm

P.S. I tried this in Wyoming after I jad already filled my tag (Wasn't brave enough to try it out during my actual hunt, haha) But it proved to be pretty successful. They get curious because obviously you're not exactly looking and acting like a real cow, but you look like one so they dont flee. I had a pretty good buck (would have harvested it had I not filled my tag already) actually walk towards me because he was so curious. I kept him known I was there and a "cow" but hid enough that he wanted to come in and see what I was up to, maybe this was just a one time thing be he slowly made his way over to me, definately with the sole purpose of checking me out, not cause he was headed there anyways (from about 400 to 150 yards, then I blew my cover and left).

good luck though, I'd be interested to hear how the cow technique works for you if you try it

hound_hunter
Monster
Monster

Post by hound_hunter » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:32 am

sure, if your sole purpose is to kill.. But what a boring hunt - I'm not trying to start any argument, seriously. but come on, there are enough good bucks around that you can afford to get out, have some fun, and try to stalk some

utahpredator_7
Spike
Spike

Post by utahpredator_7 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:42 pm

I love stalking stuff. Sitting in a blind just ain't my thing. I'll do that as a last resort for the last few days of the hunt. I think I'll go with the antelope decoy, it's cheaper and should be just as effective. Least it looks that way for the relentless pursuits guys.
We should let druggies overdose, gays get married, and in a couple generations there would be no more democrats!

buckbuckboy
Fawn
Fawn

Post by buckbuckboy » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:36 pm

utahpred Check your pm

RynoUT
Fawn
Fawn

Post by RynoUT » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:39 pm

There are cows out there, and I have hunted it a couple times. I killed my archery buck out of a blind after many blown stalks. The parker is not known for its thick cover! My wife had a rifle tag in 07 and I tried the Antelope decoy thing. It didn't go over well #-o They turned tail and ran like crazy, but the rifle hunt is pretty hectic out there so maybe that had something to do with it (???)