Wy antelope research

Talk anything related to Antelope
MNbogboy
Spike
Spike

Wy antelope research

Post by MNbogboy » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:58 pm

Well its coming down to the wire again.....Last year had a great hunt in A30 south of Douglas...Year before that in we had a wonderful time in A27 in the TBNG.....This year hope to try a little farther west most likely in Johnson County...near Buffalo or Kaycee....The plan is my oldest son Jim and I are going to hunt antelope first and then deer hunt in Region M just over the Bighorns....In order to make the dates work out better my thoughts were A20 or A21, possibly 22 or 23....If we started mid season in 22 or 23 will the lopes be scarce and wild?....Does anybody out there have any experience hunting in any of these units ?...Our plan is a DIY camping adventure as usual.....
Thanks,
Randy
WI Hunter Education Instructor since 1984.
Be safe and courteous and your luck will be great.

wingmaster36
2 point
2 point

Re: Wy antelope research

Post by wingmaster36 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:23 pm

Hope you have a great time. I've never been to Kaycee, but I would like to someday. That's where my favorite singing cowboy lived. Long live the music of Chris Ledoux and Western Underground. I put in for unit 82 which is west of Cody where my best friend lives.
"The things that are over my head are under God's feet." Adrian Rogers

MNbogboy
Spike
Spike

Post by MNbogboy » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:53 pm

Hello Wingmaster,
Hope your hunt is great too...they usually always are and both trips I had to WY were great....On a lighter "NOTE"....your mention of Chris Ledoux makes me feel like a real idiot....The other night on another forum when I mentioned Kaycee, the guy I was chatting with said "Are you going down to see Chris Ledoux?"......I responded with who's Chris Ledoux?....I thought he was talking about a member of the site....Now I just asked my wife have you ever heard of Chris Ledoux...of course she said sure everybody has heard of Chris Ledoux.....Its gotta be Alzeimer's...You know it has been a long winter up here in northern MN..... (???) ...I guess I'm just an idiot...Of course if I heard a song it would all come back to me...
Good luck on your Cody adenture,
Randy

wingmaster36
2 point
2 point

Post by wingmaster36 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:31 am

Randy,

You can go on youtube and check out Chris's music. He was a world champion cowboy turned singer that was a rodeo circuit icon. He was the inspiration for Garth Brooks' high energy stage show. I really like " This Cowboy's Hat". It makes me tear up even after all these years. Check him out as he was the real deal and not some Nashville wanna be.

waynedevore

Post by waynedevore » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:08 am

Bogboy, good luck on the draw. As far as hunting lopes mid season. Best time to hunt, for sure. IMO. Mainly you won't see a lot of hunters, and a stalk/crawl up on a buck is less likely to be interfered with. And ranchers will likely have openings after the opening week rush if you choose to go on private land. I've been hunting later season lopes for a good 20 years and will not go back to opening week.
Yeah lopes will be a little spooky, still plenty of good bucks. And an experienced bog hunter will be able to crawl up on a educated old buck. :thumb

MNbogboy
Spike
Spike

Post by MNbogboy » Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:25 pm

Thanks Wingmaster36 for enlightening me....I will check it out...

Thanks Waynedevore.....We ended up with 21 & 22 being our goal in the draw....21 for the opener possibilities and 22 for the mid season hunt if we don't draw 21...Our deer hunt will follow in Region M over the bighorns...We plan on trying for the lopes first and hopefully will leave some meat at a Buffalo, WY locker to pick up on our way home...Keeping our fingers crossed that the draw and hunt go as planned.....Have you ever hunted in A21 (south and west of Kaycee)?...maps and satellite photos show it as very interesting....

Good Luck in your draws,
Randy

wingmaster36
2 point
2 point

Post by wingmaster36 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:51 am

My son and I hope to be in unit 82 come Sept 20. He is 16 and this will be his 2nd trip out west. We went public land elk last year in Colorado and saw a few deer, 4 elk, and a moose. I got real close to the moose because he was a juvenile running with free-range cows. He was funny acting like a bull and posturing up against the herd bull trying to take his 5-6 cows away. The real bull was looking at him with this "what's wrong with you dude?" look. Hilarious!

Wyatt

waynedevore

Post by waynedevore » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:59 am

I Have hunted deer in region M. That is great Muley country. Got caught in a bad storm and had to walk from the highway. Lots of deer, we did OK. Wish the weather had been better. Lots of steep country and rolling sage in the South. I have been though Kaycee on the Interstate, always a lot of lopes seen from the highway. Never hunted that area.

MNbogboy
Spike
Spike

Post by MNbogboy » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:02 pm

Wingmaster I know you and your son will have a great hunt....Hunting with family is what it is all about...
Waynedevore thanks for the encouragement I have been told by several that the deer M was good...I am hoping for no snowstorm...last year down south of Douglas we were bogged down for several days because of 16" in the mountains....We filled our lope and deer tags but ate my cow elk tag partly because of bad roads...But definitely had a wonderful trip...
Talk to you guys later,
Randy