Mature goat???

Talk anything related to Antelope
dawgcountry
Fawn
Fawn

Mature goat???

Post by dawgcountry » Wed Jul 30, 2003 8:29 am

I'm new to antelope and mule deer hunting but as excited about my first trip as a child on Christmas Eve. I've seen my fair share of mounts of quality goats ( i don't think i've ever seen a wild one though), but when i'm glassing what am i looking for. To me a nice goat will more than enough, however what constitutes a good mature goat, trophy if you will. I"m not trying to make the books but i really don't know what to look for. With deer a towering wide rack with good mass equals a good buck the same can't be said for antelope. Any info will be greatly appreciated.
weddings,child births should ALWAYS be scheduled around hunting season. (about a 3mo window)

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Thu Jul 31, 2003 12:08 pm

dawgcountry:

Generally speaking, if you can find one that has horns that are double the length of his ears, he'll have decent length. (including curve length) Next I look for decent prongs that are at least 2-3" away from the main horn. The measurments for prongs are taken from the rear of the horn, so this allows decent prong length. Last is mass which is VERY important. If I had the choice of shooting an antelope with a little longer horns vs. one with great mass and a little shorter length, I'd shoot the heavy one. As a measurer, my experience has taught me that heavy goats tend to score better than smaller diameter ones with longer length.

What's all this mean? Well, if you follow the above and see a 13" antelope with decent prongs and mass, he'll probably score near 70" P&Y which is a good representation of the species. Hope it helps.

BOHNTR )))---------------->

dawgcountry
Fawn
Fawn

Post by dawgcountry » Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:00 am

ok cool, so a 12-13+ inch horn with serious mass is a good goat. Prong's 2-3" above base. Mass is always an impressive characteristic. So width of the rack is not very significant and the length of the prongs are not that important either? Regardless a 12 incher with solid mass is all i need to know. thanks Bohntr
weddings,child births should ALWAYS be scheduled around hunting season. (about a 3mo window)

BOHNTR

Post by BOHNTR » Wed Nov 19, 2003 6:24 pm

Dawg:

How did your hunt go?

BOHNTR )))-------------->

IdMDHNTR
Fawn
Fawn

Trophy

Post by IdMDHNTR » Sat Jun 12, 2004 9:12 pm

Where i come from a trophy antelope is one whos horns has silver tips. I guess they start to turn silver when the buck gets older and mature.