Wyoming Draw results were posted Yesterday

Talk anything related to Antelope
Snake River Marksman
3 point
3 point

Wyoming Draw results were posted Yesterday

Post by Snake River Marksman » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:10 pm

My wife and I each drew an antelope buck tag for area 88 I also got 2 doe tags and Lynne got one.

Summers to short around here to wish it away, but I'm ready for Sept 10th!!!
Stupidity is expensive

wingmaster36
2 point
2 point

Re: Wyoming Draw results were posted Yesterday

Post by wingmaster36 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:32 pm

My son and I drew antelope in unit 82. I will get to see my best friend growing up that lives there. We only get to see each other every 3-5 years so it will be fun.
"The things that are over my head are under God's feet." Adrian Rogers

MNbogboy
Spike
Spike

Post by MNbogboy » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:01 pm

Congrats to you guys that drew...I am already looking forward to Snake River's stories....They always put me right in the hunt with him....
My son Jim and I got lucky and drew our A21 tags (west of Kaycee)...A new area for us but I am sure it will be an adventure again....

Good luck on the fun and a anxious wait until season,
Randy
WI Hunter Education Instructor since 1984.
Be safe and courteous and your luck will be great.

waynedevore

Post by waynedevore » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:48 am

Congrats you guys. :thumb MAN! I'm, looking forward to tales of the hunts and picks.
I didn't apply for Antelope this year. Just not enough time. I will be headed to Region E for Muleys.
Then Montana Elk then Montana Muleys. Meantime there will be some Minnesota White Tail hunting. Couple of upland bird hunts. Just couldn't pencil in time for a lope hunt. (???)

mcilrte1
Fawn
Fawn

Post by mcilrte1 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:48 pm

Hello everyone.

Me and my good friend drew Area 42 pronghorn tags and are looking for info on Public DIY hunting areas.

Any help will be very apprieciated.

Thanks

Tom
Know your enemy, drink from his cup!

Snake River Marksman
3 point
3 point

Post by Snake River Marksman » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:59 am

Get the Delorme map of Wyoming. Any land that is BLM or State owned can be hunted on. I don't have that map in front of me just now, but that area should have plenty of public land.

By the way, I grew up in Shadyside Md. and my family is spread from St Mary's city to Baltimore.

Here's some general info on hunting antelope if you've never done it before.

An antelope hunting primer
Each fall first time antelope hunters begin to ask the same question over and over, “what do I need to know to be successful on my first antelope hunt?” The answers are fairly straight forward and I’ll do my best to list them here:
Optics
A range finder is an absolute necessity the open country that most antelope call home makes range estimation difficult even for experienced antelope hunters. Buy the best rangefinder you can’t afford.
Binoculars are the second most important optic you can have. My personal preference is a glass in the 8x range with excellent glass. Some like a higher magnification like a 10 or 12x but 8x for the general finding of game and distinguishing bucks from does works best for me.
A spotting scope is great for judging trophy quality. If your goal is to shoot the biggest buck in your hunting area, a spotting scope is vital. If you’re happy to shoot an average or slightly better than average for the area antelope, then a spotting scope isn’t as important. Resolution is the most important aspect of any spotting scope, not magnification. A super clear 20x is better than a fuzzy 60x.
Rifle
Caliber choice and rifle style are pretty personal choices. Your favorite deer rifle can very easily be your favorite antelope rifle. A big buck antelope will weigh about 130 pounds on the hoof. The heart and lung area on antelope is about 6 inches by 10 inches and is not hard to reach with most any bullet. Most antelope can easily be stalked to within 300yds, so a high power scope really isn’t necessary. If I were building an antelope rifle it would be a sporter weight bolt action synthetic stock 25-06 with a reliable 3x9 scope. I’d load it with either a standard soft point or an Amax, SST, Ballistic Tip type bullet. What I actually use is a Stevens 200 in 250 savage shooting either 100gr Ballistic Tips or Hornady 100gr interlocks. It wears a Swift 3x9 scope.
Gear
I haven’t found it necessary to do a lot of belly crawling in order to get close enough to shoot my antelope, but it does happen occasionally. Leather gloves and knee pads go a long ways towards keeping cactus spines (which are everywhere in antelope country) from perforating your hands and knees. Shooting sticks or a bipod that will allow you to shoot from a seated position really helps. I haven’t found camouflage clothing to really help much. I usually wear jeans and a blaze orange T shirt. Antelope see movement just like deer do. Stay still, stay low, and don’t look human, and as often as not, antelope will actually come over to investigate you. They have a pretty strong curiosity. Be prepared for warm temps. After field dressing my antelope I stuff two bags of ice into the chest cavity and I put my antelope on two boards in the back of the truck to allow air to flow under it as well as over it. I also roll the tonneau cover over the bed to keep the sun from beating down on the carcass. Rapid cooling of the meat is the key to great tasting antelope. Antelope that is not properly cared for in the field can be absolutely inedible. Not chasing the antelope for miles and miles before it is shot also helps in the edibility department. If you bust a band of antelope and they take off running, don’t bother chasing them. Go find another band there are usually plenty around. Drink lots of water. Antelope country is dry and you won’t sweat much. But it will dehydrate you quick. A 32oz bottle of Gatorade or other sports drink along with a litre of water through out the day will keep you from being miserable at the end of the day. (ask me how I know) Sun screen and a wide brimmed hat (not white) should be carried as well.
Shooting
After you zero your rifle, get off the bench and learn to shoot from those shooting sticks and bipod. Go to your range and shoot on the windy days. Antelope country is usually windy and even a slight breeze will drastically affect your bullets path at long range. Leave the range and go shoot groundhogs or ground squirrels or what ever other pest species you can find in your area. Trigger time in the game fields can’t be matched anywhere.
I’ve never made my first shot on an antelope at more than 200yds but it can happen. I regularly shoot at the 400 yard line to be prepared for the day when I really think I need to but I always try to get with in 300yds and closer if possible. So far I’ve been able to do so easily.
Conclusion
There you have it, the basics of a first time antelope hunt. Other folks will have their own opinions and I won’t discount them. This is just what I have learned in the last five or six years and ten dead antelope.
Stupidity is expensive

Snake River Marksman
3 point
3 point

Post by Snake River Marksman » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:29 am

I got the map out of the truck. You don't have a lot of options on that unit. biggest most contiguous piece of BLM land in that unit is at the very northern end of the unit. most everything else is landlocked with private property. Standby while I look at the public wildlife private land website.
Stupidity is expensive

Snake River Marksman
3 point
3 point

Post by Snake River Marksman » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:40 am

http://gf.state.wy.us/PLPWHMPROGRAM/upl ... bany09.pdf

You're in luck, there are two walk in areas in this unit. Call or email game and fish and get the atlas for the walk in areas. CAREFULLY read the description of the hunting area and draw it on your Delorme Map. Contact the BLM office in wheatland or Laramie and buy their maps and study them very carefully to figure out where the BLM land is. You'll have land to hunt on and goats to shoot at and a good time, you're just going to have to do some prep work and pay attention to where you are. Get into town a day or so early to do some scouting.
Stupidity is expensive

Hiker

Post by Hiker » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:41 pm

SRM, Great Posts! Thanks for taking the time to help this gentleman out. We didn't apply for speed goats this year, first in many years but we did get 2 type 6 wt doe tags. Have a great hunt everyone and I'm looking forward to seeing and hearing about your hunt.
Hiker

Proverbs 3:5-6

Snake River Marksman
3 point
3 point

Post by Snake River Marksman » Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:52 pm

Thanks Hiker,
Just trying to help.
Stupidity is expensive