What do you guys think of this buck?

Talk anything related to Antelope
Leo
Fawn
Fawn

What do you guys think of this buck?

Post by Leo » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:47 pm

Well I have never been antelpe hunting before. The tags are pretty few and far between here in Oregon. I took these pictures of this buck through my spotting scope on a recent scouting trip. I am not very good at judging them yet. I know he has really big cutters/fronts. Not sure how tall he is? 14" mabye? How do YOU think he would score? Is he a nice buck or not? If you guys could lend a hand to an antelope novice I would really appreciate it.
Attachments
GetAttachment[1].jpg
GetAttachment[1].jpg (34.03 KiB) Viewed 8605 times
diggers.jpg
diggers.jpg (30.35 KiB) Viewed 8605 times
pronghorn.jpg
pronghorn.jpg (28.04 KiB) Viewed 8605 times
antelope.jpg
antelope.jpg (35.65 KiB) Viewed 8605 times

one hunting fool
Monster
Monster

Re: What do you guys think of this buck?

Post by one hunting fool » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:54 pm

Nice cutters but thats about all I see worth considering. (as long as your hunting WY, or a trophy area )
Genesis 27:3
Now take your hunting equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out into the open country and hunt some wild game for me.

orduckhunter
Fawn
Fawn

Post by orduckhunter » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:16 pm

is that an Oregon buck? my last Oregon buck was not as tall as this one

great diggers on him!

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:12 pm

Not sure how good for the area? But agreed, he has good cutters and then a bit weak up top. I don't think he is quite 14", but I could be wrong.

StickFlicker
3 point
3 point

Post by StickFlicker » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:02 pm

I agree, I don't see him going 14", and kind of thin. He does have great prongs, something I've never managed to take in a buck, but have always wanted! If you're looking for one to make the books, he would probably make the minimum for P&Y, but wouldn't score that high. Mass is by far the most important thing to look for in a high scoring Pronghorn. Out of the 12 measurements that comprise the score, 10 of them are either all mass or have a component of mass. Look for a buck that is very heavy above the prong, and at least fair height (over 13) and prongs, and you are looking at a record book buck. At one time in the early 90's Oregon held the World Record in P&Y, so they can produce huge bucks.

Good luck! Marvin
Official Pope & Young, Boone & Crockett & Longhunter Society Measurer,
Records Chairman, Bowhunting In Arizona Record Book

StickFlicker
3 point
3 point

Post by StickFlicker » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:07 pm

After I posted, it occured to me that some people hunt antelope with things other than a bow. (???) Sorry, I mostly post on bowhunting sites and forget that most of you guys on MM are probably rifle hunters, especially if this is your first Lope hunt. That buck will not make B&C, as the mass is not nearly enough to put it over 80 (82 for all time B&C). So, if your goal is a Book buck, I'd keep looking for something with excellent mass. If you're just looking for a great looking buck, that is a very cool looking one, and it would make a nice mount.

Marvin
Official Pope & Young, Boone & Crockett & Longhunter Society Measurer,
Records Chairman, Bowhunting In Arizona Record Book

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:13 pm

what unit do you have a tag for?
there are a couple world class antelope units in oregon, but for the other 90% of the antelope units, i'd say that is a well abouve average goat.

stickflicker, if i was to guess, [ and it would be just a guess] but the state record is probably listed as HARNEY or LAKE county, if so it's more than likely from the hart mountain antelope refuge. that unit is awsome, can hold it's own vs. any unit in america. but it just goes down hill from there for trophy quality. dont get me wrong, i try for some units that aren't considered to be that good, and think i could have some fun hunting. but hart mtn and the rest of oregon , are in two different leagues.

Leo
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Leo » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:48 pm

Thanks for all the great responses and feedback. Yes, this is in Oregon. My tag is in the Beatys Butte unit. It is one of the units that the Hart Mountain refuge is in. But of course I cant hunt on the refuge, that tag takes 15 or 16 points to draw as a resident. - Leo

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:07 pm

Leo wrote:Thanks for all the great responses and feedback. Yes, this is in Oregon. My tag is in the Beatys Butte unit. It is one of the units that the Hart Mountain refuge is in. But of course I cant hunt on the refuge, that tag takes 15 or 16 points to draw as a resident. - Leo
well, theres 25% of the tags that go to the random draw, and considering your luckey&*%$^^((%^^(^%$$#^^&*%(&^$%^#$#&*% drew a big horn sheep tag you should try lol

no seriously[ j/k on the above post] for beaty's butte i think you found a shooter! those cutters are very cool, and really , the odds of finding a 15" goat aren't great.

orduckhunter
Fawn
Fawn

Post by orduckhunter » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:37 pm

I agree on the quality of trophies you'll find in most of Oregon's antelope units

and, is that an Oregon bighorn? if so, you DO have some kind of luck!