What do you guys think of this buck?

Talk anything related to Antelope
waynedevore

Re: What do you guys think of this buck?

Post by waynedevore » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:25 am

He put most of his mass in the prongs, hard to find prongs that heavy. I would consider him a shooter in a public area for sure.

Larry
2 point
2 point

Post by Larry » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:59 pm

If that was a Wyoming Buck I'd pass him, until the prong is above the ear's you can bet that it's a young buck (the ears are around 7" on antelope). Mass is more importante than lenght. I hear guys bragging up 16" buck's that will not go 75, do to their lack out mass.

This guy was a run of the mill young goat I got east of Cheyenne, I think he was in the 13" range NOTE the prong starts bellow the tip of the ears.

This buck was right at the 80" mark, note the mass on him. His was shy of 16' in lenght. It's a poor pic but It's all I can find.

this is a 14" that almosted booked, when I talk about mass this is what I mean.

I know my spellings bad!

zatarain6
3 point
3 point

Post by zatarain6 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:55 am

thats a nice buck , looks like a shooter to me .

orduckhunter
Fawn
Fawn

Post by orduckhunter » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:38 am

wow - Larry - I've never seen cutters like those on that last one!

TagSoup
Fawn
Fawn

Post by TagSoup » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:11 pm

It's a nice buck but I don't think it will go 14". The diggers look really long but I think that's also because he's small on the mass. I sent you a PM about where I killed my muzzleloader buck maybe that'll have a BC buck. The buck I killed didn't go 14" but had excellent mass scoring 72and change. Not a great buck but it was a muzzleloader hunter after the rifle hunt and we found more ribcages and pelts in the desert then we did live bucks. Oregon has some really good antelope hunts they just take a lifetime to draw. I have friends that killed 87 and 84 antelope in the Whitehorse unit-before there were two hunts and a 90 was killed in the Steens a few years back.