unlimited or easy draw antelope areas

Talk anything related to Antelope
Bowhuntrben
Fawn
Fawn

unlimited or easy draw antelope areas

Post by Bowhuntrben » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:27 pm

I am interested in trying our a DIY antelope hunt in the next few years and was wondering if anybody knew of any good areas that offer unlimited archery tags or tags that are easy to draw (few preference points), yet still have a decent amount of antelope and public land to hunt them on. I have never hunted antelope, so any info would be greatly appreciated. I am not looking for specific areas neccessarily, just general (GMUs). Any state would be of interest to me.

killerbee

Re: unlimited or easy draw antelope areas

Post by killerbee » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:09 pm

you best option is WYOMING, the place is infested with goats. i went a few yrs back and you could basically stalk antelope from daylight to dark, if one stalk went wrong--- you just sat down located another nice goat, and started a new stalk.. it was great!

The Ox
Monster
Monster

Post by The Ox » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:04 pm

killer how was hunting pressure?

orduckhunter
Fawn
Fawn

Post by orduckhunter » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:24 am

Ox and Ben -
I hunted Wyoming again last year. I went during the archery season, and didn't see any other hunters except those in our party. I didn't connect, so I went back during the rifle season. I purposefully went near the end of the rifle season - to miss the masses of people that tend to show up opening weekend. I didn't see another hunter, except the buddy I was hunting with.
We saw lots of animals, and as killer said, if one stalk didn't work out, there was always another just over the hill!

NotEnufTags
Monster
Monster

Post by NotEnufTags » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:11 am

Here's my reply to your mule deer question. I think it is applicable here also.
maintguy47 wrote:Eastmans Bowhunter (and hunting journal) Magazine puts out an
issue every year that breaks down the western states,how to,where to, things like that. You might find what your looking for in there. Good luck.
The over-the-counter Eastmans magazine won't have the info maintguy47 mentioned. It's the MRS section or members research section available only to subscribers. They include it in the back of each issue. It's very well thought out. They time the reasearch so your reading about odds and drawing dates ect. a little before you have to act to put in for the tags. The section gives hunter success rates, a percentage of public vs private land, typical number of points required to draw the area, record book potential and so on. They do this research for all of the western states. I think Maintguy's suggestion is spot on. Subscribe to Eastmans and you'll get a ton of info that your after.
"Some day I'll scout out a monster, spot him while hunting, make the stalk of a lifetime, and have dreams come true. 'Til then I'll be happy with the buck in my cross-hairs."

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:52 pm

The Ox wrote:killer how was hunting pressure?
we never got hosed on a stalk, or spotted goat that someone else was already on. really pressure was very low. it's deffinatly a hunt i consider one everyone should do once or twice or more. what more can you ask--- lots of animals to hunt, throphy quality- if you wanted to look at a ton og goats.
i went to help my dad and his buddy, they were just looking for representable animals. they both killed a 13 1/2 and 14 1/2 bucks.

to tell you how good it was, my dads buddy, a life long family friend, goes deer hunting with my parents EVERY year, for over 20 yrs. he has NEVER killed a buck ](*,) misses, not seeing them, whatever it has been [ but he hasn't ever wounded a buck]------- his only kill he has ever had was a nice 14 1/2 goat on that hunt! it was awsome to see him be succsesfull!

and my dad was going to try and kill a big goat but he dropped the ball on a bedded, upper 15" , heavy horned goat at 200 yrds ](*,) a little frustrated- he shot the next repectable goat we stalked.

it was a fun hunt!

Bowhuntrben
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Bowhuntrben » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:14 pm

Orduckhunter and killerbee...what units in wyoming did you hunt? Were you hunting public land? Is this land open to nonresidents?

Thanks for the tips everybody!

I will have to sign up for Eastman's bowhunting journal

orduckhunter
Fawn
Fawn

Post by orduckhunter » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:41 pm

ben - I hunted area 7 - up in Weston County (near Newcastle)
good amounts of access - some on public land, some on private land with walk-in access

TheGreatwhitehunter

Post by TheGreatwhitehunter » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:29 am

Wyoming has more opportunity for antelope hunters than any state in the west. There is plenty of public land to hunt and there is 2 types of private land to hunt through the Fish and games agreement with landowners, Hunter managment areas and Walk in hunting areas.

Also there are plenty of landowners that allow hunting for a fee or for free.
THE LORD IS MY ROCK

Snake River Marksman
3 point
3 point

Post by Snake River Marksman » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:11 pm

Repeat after me: "There are NO antelope in Wyoming. There are NO antelope in Wyoming. All of the antelope are in Colorado. All of the antelope are in Colorado."
Stupidity is expensive