NM Archery Antelope

Talk anything related to Antelope
StickFlicker
3 point
3 point

NM Archery Antelope

Post by StickFlicker » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:21 pm

I took this buck in New Mexico last week on the last day of the 5 day bow season. I tried to shoot this buck on the third day, but had multiple bow malfunctions when I tried to draw on it several times. I had to just let it walk away, hoping to get a chance on it later in the hunt. On the last day I saw a buck walking toward me. Since I was willing to take any reasonably nice buck on the last day, I rose up and drew my bow, only to find that there were FOUR bucks. I held my draw for some time trying to evaluate which one to shoot, and eventually picking the one that was at the worst possible angle for a shot (facing directly away from me). I briefly considered taking one of the others since they were all fairly nice, but held until the one I'd picked finally turned and gave me the shot I wanted. Later I realized he was the same buck from two days earlier, after I compared the photos I took of the first buck. He won't score as well as I thought he would when I judged him on the hoof, but I felt fairly fortunate to take a buck that nice on the last day. My partner missed a shot on each of the first three days, and did not end up scoring. It was a great time though, like antelope hunting usually is!
Attachments
DSC_2757 sm.jpg
DSC_2757 sm.jpg (231.56 KiB) Viewed 6498 times
Official Pope & Young, Boone & Crockett & Longhunter Society Measurer,
Records Chairman, Bowhunting In Arizona Record Book

killerbee

Re: NM Archery Antelope

Post by killerbee » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:49 pm

my burn that is a big goat!, what does he score? mass, high prongs, good length, mid to upper 80's? just a guess might be way off!

congrats on a goat i'd be proud of!

zatarain6
3 point
3 point

Post by zatarain6 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:08 am

thats one nice looking goat . congrats on a job well done .

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:31 am

Good grief that Goat is HUGE, who cares on the score. What a beauty!! 10sign:

NotEnufTags
Monster
Monster

Post by NotEnufTags » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:44 am

Congrats to stickflicker. You seem to have the antelope thing down to a science. I love the mount in your avatar. Great looking buck that you harvested. I bought a wyoming bonus point this year hoping to draw a tag next year for my first antelope hunt. We see how that goes. [-o<
"Some day I'll scout out a monster, spot him while hunting, make the stalk of a lifetime, and have dreams come true. 'Til then I'll be happy with the buck in my cross-hairs."

StickFlicker
3 point
3 point

Post by StickFlicker » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:21 pm

Thanks guys. This last day buck helped keep my streak alive of consecutive P&Y bucks, making the sixth one in a row I've been fortunate enough to take with my bow. The short seasons in New Mexico can put a lot of pressure on a bowhunter.

I don't really know what he will score since I didn't take the opportunity to score him yet. I guessed low to mid-80's when I first saw him, but I think he just looks much more impressive than he'll truly score. Under the B&C system I believe he would qualify to have three mass measurements under the prong, which would help his score, but P&Y doesn't score antelope that way. He was one of the nicer bucks I saw on my hunt, so I was happy to get him, but score-wise I've probably taken four others with my bow that scored higher. I'm planning to use his cape to mount my Arizona buck from last year that scored 86.0, so probably will just do a European skull mount of this buck.I already have three antelope mounts, so not sure where I'll put the fourth!

If only I was as good at bowhunting Coues deer. Those things keep kicking my butt!! ](*,)
Official Pope & Young, Boone & Crockett & Longhunter Society Measurer,
Records Chairman, Bowhunting In Arizona Record Book

BIG R
4 point
4 point

Post by BIG R » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:42 pm

Congrats on a great buck.Job well done :thumb

TheGreatwhitehunter

Post by TheGreatwhitehunter » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:57 pm

Well as usual you managed to score on a great antelope with the bow. :not-worthy

Congratulatonson a great looking buck =D>
THE LORD IS MY ROCK

orduckhunter
Fawn
Fawn

Post by orduckhunter » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:55 pm

that's an awesome buck - it has everything I've wanted - mass, good cutters, great hooks!
congratulations!

Hiker

Post by Hiker » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:16 pm

Stickflicker,
Excellent job! =D> That is a good buck alright. Those antelope are in trouble when you have a tag in your pocket.
Hiker

Proverbs 3:5-6