South Dakota Antelope

Talk anything related to Antelope
Windlaker
Fawn
Fawn

South Dakota Antelope

Post by Windlaker » Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:33 pm

We're heading to South Dakota next week for Rifle Antelope. 2nd time Antelope hunting.

I've checked the weather records, and it looks like it's been pretty dry. Can some of you locals confirm that for us?

If so, I'm assuming any water we can find will be a "Hotspot", right?

One more thing...I'm considering a .222 Remington for my backup rifle. The way I'm reading the regs, it's a legal gun. Is it enough gun? Probably won't even use it, but should I even bring it along?

Thanks in advance,

WIndLaker

cjo13
Fawn
Fawn

Re: South Dakota Antelope

Post by cjo13 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:33 am

I have spent a lot of time West River SD this summer. It is not all that Dry. I have noticed that the Antelope population is way down from the 2008 year as we had a pretty tough winter last year. You should have a decent hunt though.

I have shot Many Antelope with a 22-250 with nice clean 1 shot kills. Most shots are around the 200-300 yard range. Good optics is a must in my opinion.

CJ

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Re: South Dakota Antelope

Post by Springville Shooter » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:49 pm

If you do use the 222 to kill an antelope I would make sure that you are using a hunting bullet and not a varmint bullet. Other than that, my guess is that a well placed bullet at a range of 300yds or less will do the job. Probably wouldn't be my first choice, but it doesn't sound like it's yours either.
"Only accurate rifles are interesting"-----Col. Townsend Whelen