Bolt Lubricant

Talk anything related to Shooting, Reloading, etc.
maintguy47
3 point
3 point

Bolt Lubricant

Post by maintguy47 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:10 pm

I'm going to be out 6 days this year in below freezing weather day and night. Years ago over seas we were out for a long time and the bolts froze on some of our weapons. This is a hunting trip and I don't want this to happen. do any of you guys know of a good gun oil that won't freeze. Or do I even half to worry about it these days. I'm to old to sleep on my rifle these days. Thanks.

ABert

Re: Bolt Lubricant

Post by ABert » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:44 pm

If/when I ever get off work and get home I'll give you the name of the stuff I use. I used it in Iraq to keep the sand from causing the action to jam and they say it works just as well in the cold.

I just can't think of the name of the stuff right now.
It ain't the size of the gun but the placement of the bullet.

maintguy47
3 point
3 point

Post by maintguy47 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:47 pm

Thanks.

hound_hunter
Monster
Monster

Post by hound_hunter » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:04 am

There are all kinds of different lubricants for different settings but really some good old regular CLP should do the trick just fine. Made by a company called Break Free? The biggest thing will be keeping condensation out of your system, since it sounds like you'll be staying outside both day and night that shouldn't be an issue. Also just 6 days I don't think you have too much to worry about, good on you for taking the time to look into it though. It seems like too many people out there just ignore weapons maintenance all together. burn I have a cousin who says it's bad luck to sight in his rifle before the deer hunt! haha. Good luck though. Mind sharing what you're after or whereabouts you're headed?

Anymore questions (or if you want more clarification) feel free to ask, there is an endless amount of knowledge on this site and plenty of willing people to deliver it.

ABert

Post by ABert » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:37 pm

Finally remembered the name of the stuff, though I'm still not home :>/ I'm already a week past my shift change and no end in sight.

Anyways, here's the link:

http://www.militec1.com/
It ain't the size of the gun but the placement of the bullet.

maintguy47
3 point
3 point

Post by maintguy47 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:29 pm

I drew a five day hunt in NM DEC 4-8. I'll be hunting with a Thompson Center Black Diamond muzzle loader. It's got a solid bolt. I know the area well. That time of year the bulls stay high until the snow over a foot deep. Useually it doesn't snow heavy in the Carlson until about the third week of DEC. But you never know. It does however stay well below freezeing day and night above 8000ft which is where I'll be. I do appreciate the help. I'm a die hard bowhunter but do have experiance with rifles and what nots. I shoot my smoke poles and my 30-06 regularly should such an oppertuninty as this should present itsself. Thanks again for the help.

Loafer
3 point
3 point

Post by Loafer » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:08 am

Check out Tetragun synthetic gun grease. Its real slick not tacking like petro based grease. Great mositure protection too. I've used it in sub temps to above 100 on bolts and autos and have never had a failure or a locked/frozen bolt.
Uva uvam vivendo varia fit - Augustus McCrae