Jackson Hole 1/4 mile shoot. My results

Talk anything related to Shooting, Reloading, etc.
Snake River Marksman
3 point
3 point

Jackson Hole 1/4 mile shoot. My results

Post by Snake River Marksman » Sun May 22, 2011 8:52 pm

Well, I didn't exactly embarass myself, but I didn't win it either. ACP Chuck andhis son showed up and he didn't embarass himself either, nor did he win. But he's raring to go for next year.
Conditions were very very good. We had 12 shooters.
I shot the high score at 100yds
I shot in the high middle of the pack at 200yds offhand. Nobody shot a high enough score to move on to 350 so we all advanced.
At 350yds I failed to shoot the minimum score to qualify for the 1/4mile. Only five of the 12 competitors scored the minimum 45 of 50 points to advance. I shot a 37.

Here's what i did wrong.
At 200yds I failed to put the dope on the scope. I shot my 100yd zero.

At 350yds my group was good, but off center. The light breeze was tickling the back of my neck. BUT There must have been a left to right condition down range because most everyones groups were right of center at 350. Also, I forgot to crank the scope back up to 16x from 6x where I shot the 200yd target at. I suppose that's a twist on the DOPE THE SCOPE theme.
100yd target

200yds Just plain miserable shooting

350yds

What I learned is, First off DOPE THE SCOPE!
Second, use a spotting scope! I could have seen those holes at 350 and made an adjustment. There was an outstanding Leica right there available to me and I had plenty of time to use it if only I would have.
Third, Practice Practice, Practice. I'm going to hurt everyones feelings next year with my 200yd score. The 22 is going to get a lot of work this year and so are my snap caps.

Sumation?
I had a great time and I can't wait to do it again!!!!!!!
Stupidity is expensive

JDavid
Spike
Spike

Re: Jackson Hole 1/4 mile shoot. My results

Post by JDavid » Fri May 27, 2011 1:40 pm

This was a .22 rimfire match? Sounds fun. I use to be big into the silhouette shoots, but as the family got bigger and more responsibility. I havent made it out to a shoot for awhile.
Also another fun shoot anyone wanting to check out is the gateway dynamite shoot.
http://www.gufd.org/dynamite2.html
Thats me shooting at the off hand range.
Is someone with 10 million dollars any happier than someone with 9 million?

Snake River Marksman
3 point
3 point

Re: Jackson Hole 1/4 mile shoot. My results

Post by Snake River Marksman » Fri May 27, 2011 2:30 pm

LOL! No it wasn'ta rimfire event. My comment about the 22 is that it's cheaper to practice offhand shooting with the 22lr than with my 223.
Stupidity is expensive