Nosler or Barnes?

Talk anything related to Shooting, Reloading, etc.
BleuBijou
Fawn
Fawn

Re: Nosler or Barnes?

Post by BleuBijou » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:43 pm

I will be trying the new Barnes 200 gr. LRX this year. I have been shooting the 180 tsx but after plugging in my info with the new LRX ballistic coefficient, which is much higher, I will shoot 2" higher at 600 yds, even with a 100fps drop. Pretty much identical with 20 more grains of weight. Hope they shoot as well. I have tried all the others mentioned and the only one I would consider going back to would be the Partition .

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Post by Springville Shooter » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:23 pm

BleuBijou wrote:I will be trying the new Barnes 200 gr. LRX this year. I have been shooting the 180 tsx but after plugging in my info with the new LRX ballistic coefficient, which is much higher, I will shoot 2" higher at 600 yds, even with a 100fps drop. Pretty much identical with 20 more grains of weight. Hope they shoot as well. I have tried all the others mentioned and the only one I would consider going back to would be the Partition .

Be careful putting too much stock into Barnes published numbers. I have done ALOT of work with bullets at the range and it is my belief that Barnes either pads their BC numbers, or there is some other factor in their construction that causes them to drag more than their published specs. I like Barnes, but to me they are a specialized bullet most useful for closer range shots and using a small caliber for the game being taken. I personally don't care for how I have seen them perform at lower velocities whether from a slower caliber or extreme range. I think that they are at their best at blazing hot velocities where other bullets could fail on impact. I use them in a few rifles, but to be completely honest, I have not been impressed at all with their long range performance, even the supposed long range versions. The Accubond completely outperforms the Barnes flight-wise in all my experience. I personally have never had performance issues with the AB, but many others have. I will continue to use them until I have a problem. With the number of animals I have taken, I doubt that will happen.---SS
"Only accurate rifles are interesting"-----Col. Townsend Whelen

BleuBijou
Fawn
Fawn

Post by BleuBijou » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:44 pm

I will test them 2-3 times before I hunt from 1 to 6 hundred yards. If they show signs of non performance back to the 180's. If I had some more powder I would shoot more!!! LOL!! I only have 3 pounds of what I use for my powder burning magnums. So I need to be careful and not use it up for practice.

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Post by Springville Shooter » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:46 pm

BleuBijou wrote:I will test them 2-3 times before I hunt from 1 to 6 hundred yards. If they show signs of non performance back to the 180's. If I had some more powder I would shoot more!!! LOL!! I only have 3 pounds of what I use for my powder burning magnums. So I need to be careful and not use it up for practice.

You are a wise man!! I have several good ballistic programs and I still proof everything I do the old fashioned way with alot of targets, powder, and bullets. I recently had a long argument with a tech at a scope company regarding a custom BDC knob that I was ordering. He didn't want to use my data because he said that his program was far more accurate than any field data that I had. When the knob wasn't perfect, I sent it back with a nasty letter. I got a new knob made using my data and a nice apology. That knob works very well. Seasoned shooters realize that published BC numbers are given just as precisely as an old lady's weight.-------SS

gspman
Fawn
Fawn

Post by gspman » Wed May 01, 2013 8:26 pm

accubonds ...hands down the best imho
:thumb

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Post by Springville Shooter » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:17 am

Etips are slowly starting to challenge Accubonds as my favorites. I shoot them exclusively in two rifles, 25-06 AI and 300 RUM, and after killing a few animals I am liking them. They shoot very well at long range and offer great ballistics. I'd love to get one back to see how they mushroom, but so far, on a couple antelpe, a whitetail buck, a muley buck, and a cow elk, I have yet to get a bullet back. Wound channels seem pretty good and all have been clean kills at ranges from 100-400 yards.------SS

waspocrew
4 point
4 point

Post by waspocrew » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:46 pm

I had never shot the Accubond before until this year. I loaded a 140 gr Accubond in my 270 WSM and I was impressed with the results on a nice sized black bear sow. She only went about 30 yards. Now I've got them loaded up for my 7 Rem Mag and 25-06.... I just have to decide which rifle I'm going to take out this season..... I think the Accubond is an exceptional bullet :thumb