Nosler or Barnes?

Talk anything related to Shooting, Reloading, etc.
spoofman
Spike
Spike

Re: Nosler or Barnes?

Post by spoofman » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:21 pm

i shoot both myself but have gotten better results out at long range with the barnes bullet TSX. i shoot a .308 and have a load that gets fair patterns out to 1200 yards. I havent hunted at that range to know the damage dealt, but the accuracy has me sold.

tx_packmule
Fawn
Fawn

Post by tx_packmule » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:03 pm

ABs are my preference since I don't shoulder shoot... If I did I would lean toward ttsx.

Loafer
3 point
3 point

Post by Loafer » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:48 pm

Push... I have had awesome results with both to pick one over the other is hard. I can make a great case for both. I have shot and killed game with the partition, TSX and TTSX in .300 win and all flew great.
Uva uvam vivendo varia fit - Augustus McCrae

dahlmer
Monster
Monster

Post by dahlmer » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:07 am

I have shot Nosler Partitions in 270, 30'06, 7mm mag, 300 win mag, and 300 WSM calibers. I have also used the accubond in the 300 WSM and 7mm mag. As far as accuracy is concerned both bullets will outshoot my abilities as will the Barnes. I prefer Nosler over Barnes (primarily Partition) because I have found the perform best over the widest range of velocities. This can become a big issue with long range shooting as your velocity falls (I personally am not a long range gunner) and Barnes has had issues with expansion at low velocities. The partitions BC is good but not great.

I have never experienced failures with Nosler bullets. I have not used Barnes, but have never had reason to go away from Noslers.

TheGreatwhitehunter

Post by TheGreatwhitehunter » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:07 pm

I have been impressed with the Nosler accubonds, but the Barnes tipped triple shocks are tought to beat.
THE LORD IS MY ROCK

spoofman
Spike
Spike

Post by spoofman » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:48 pm

yes the tipped triple shock from Barnes is tough to beat

30Ultra
Fawn
Fawn

Post by 30Ultra » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:27 pm

I've been beating myself up over this very subject as well. At least since my elk tag showed up. I thought when I became an Ultra Mag pilot/lover my problems were over. Now I find myself concerned with run -of- the- mill bullets. The area we will be hunting in SW Colorad isn't conducive to long range shots. According to our guide we'll be hunting "ravines" with shots likely under 200 yards. So,do I take that as gospel? Then there are the"what ifs". What if I get a good poke at a bull in the 400 yd catagory? I've never had great success with Barnes bullets. I have a couple boxes of XLCs here in a couple different calibers that I may toss. Never got accuracy as good as a lead core bullet. Not even close. I like Accu-Bonds well enough. I've been tempted to drop the coin on some Scirocco,but have had issues with pure copper jackets and fouling in years past. The E-Tip may be where I end up. Has anyone here recovered a Hornady GMX from a critter yet? I've been a Speer and Hornady man for about 30 years. The 300 Ultra I have just flat out loves 168gr A-Max! If I can find a super premium bullet,with that BC,to mirror the performance of the A-Max,I'll go to my grave a content man. 5 shot bug hole groups at Ultra Mag velocities,super premium performance at all ranges. Not too much to ask................Is it?

For The Love of It
Spike
Spike

Post by For The Love of It » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:30 pm

I prefer the barnes tipped triple shocks. I use to shoot the nosler accubond until my NM bull elk hunt. I was shooting 450 yards with my 300 ultra mag the first shot was square on the shoulder and the bull ran towards me. He then stopped at 350 with the same shoulder facing me I shot square on the point of the shoulder again only for the bull to take off 40 yards before stopping so I shot him right behind the shoulder this time to finally put him down. Upon skinning him out I found that the first shot had only hit the shoulder and blew up never entering the body cavity of the bull. The second shot was only a half inch from the first shot and blew up before entering the body cavity. My oly guess to this failure of the bullet is the extreme velcities from the 300 ultra mag. I read other reviews in a magazine saying the accubond is an incredible bullet for slower calibers. I still shoot the accubond out of my 270 and have had awesome success. The barnes tts have preformed flawlessly out of my 300 ulta mag so I guess it depends on what veocities your shooting.

Pruneemac
Fawn
Fawn

No way

Post by Pruneemac » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:38 pm

are they the same. I shot Noslers for years but when CA went non lead (in our area) we had to look at Barnes. It took a while to figure them out but now I wouldnt shoot anything else.

I prefer the 168 TTSX

Seating depth is critical

Pruneemac
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Pruneemac » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:45 pm

no question Barnes!

Best constructed bullet ever!